SAN JOSE/EVERGREEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Part-Time/Associate Instructor: Technical Theatre for Spring
The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a
part-time/adjunct Technical Theatre Instructor at San Jose City
College for the Spring 24 semester with the possibility for rehire
in the 2024-2025 academic year. Our ideal candidate will have
experience in Scenic Design, Set construction and Lighting
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach Technical Theatre on campus.
2. Provides technical oversight, guidance and training to student
theatrical crew members in the proper use of tools and theater
equipment, including lighting, scenic design, set construction and
rigging systems, as well as basic theater practices, techniques and
3. Teaches students to work as stage technicians and identifies
qualified students to serve as crew for productions and
4. Runs the scene shop, constructs scenery and provides estimates
of construction costs associated with scene shop services.
5. Attends rehearsals as needed and participates in the technical
rehearsal process as the representative of the technical
6. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and
different learning styles.
7. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including
but not limited to activities such as: participation in
professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in
professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic
work, participation in statewide committees or organizations,
8. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of
diverse racial, ethnic, academic, and socio-economic backgrounds,
sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for
differences and the dignity of others.
9. Maintain the technical theater equipment in the performance
spaces, scene shops and costume shops.
10. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and
curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and
assessment, program review, committees, research, and special
projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
11. Attend and participate in department, division and college
meetings and keep posted office hours.
7. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census,
reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
8. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by
California Education Code and Board policy.
9. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
10. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A Master's degree in Theatre and/or Technical Theatre
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural,
disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and
sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups
historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major
duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in
the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent
transferable skills to do so.
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This
position is represented by the San José-Evergreen Community College
District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below and select
Adjunct / Part-time Faculty – (TECHNICAL THEATRE)
Direct Link: http://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1749
Position #F19014, Open and Continuous
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other
disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to
for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San
José-Evergreen Community College District.
HR/ Employment Services
Office of Human Resources
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Phone: (408) 270-6414
Employment Sites: www.sjeccd.edu or https://jobs.sjeccd.edu