A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's athletics
program and collaborate with staff and administration to ensure
student-athletes are provided with opportunities and services to
help them succeed academically. The A ssistant
Women’s Basketball Coach
shall have the primary
responsibilities to execute Basketball coaching strategies that
include on and off-the-field performance: build a competitive team
in the competition; including, but not limited to player discipline
and wins on the field. Including, but not limited to assisting with
strategies for the recruitment of athletes and developing a
regionally and nationally competitive team. This will include video
services and operations tasks for game analysis, scouting, and
instructional training purposes; accountability and regulatory
compliance for all student-athlete activities.
Responsible for assisting the head coach with the overall
management of FMU’s Women’s Basketball program, establishing and
adhering to policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines in
compliance with the policies, procedures, regulations, and
guidelines of all University, NAIA, conference, state, and federal
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Represent Florida Memorial University in a positive manner with
the highest degree of ethics and integrity. Promote and support the
mission of Florida Memorial University.
- Organize and direct all aspects of the Women’s Basketball
program: organizing practice sessions to enhance the team’s
performance as a highly visible sport; supervising staff involved
in the program and overseeing the budget.
- Develop and enforce a consistent discipline policy and enforce
the code of conduct for both players and the team.
- Coordinate with Head Coach on meetings prior to and during the
- Make sure safety and proper skills and techniques are being
- Assist the Head Coach with team evaluation and ensure that the
team is organized and within the code of conduct.
- Help to mitigate low-level grievances and complaints between
coaches and parents.
- Manage recruiting strategies through scouting, attending
tournaments, and home visits, in accordance with the Sun Conference
- Work to raise funds through the Basketball annual fund and
develop other fundraising activities, camps, and/or clinics to
support the Women’s Basketball Program.
- Participate in institutional professional development and
training. Display behavior consistent with professional ethics and
the FMU faculty and staff handbook.
- Provide administrative efforts, events and programming, game
operations, research, and presentation. This also includes but is
not limited to team communication and hospitality guidelines.
Representation at various South Florida business functions,
industry conventions, business seminars, and meetings as
- Develop game day preparations in conjunction with the entire
coaching staff, by analyzing film, designing strategies,
communicating with players in the specialty area (post), and
scouting reports. Execute game day preparation; analyze game
performance primarily in the specialty area with players in
- Monitor the academic progress of all the players on the team,
including coordinating and monitoring study tables, as well as
working in connection with the coaching staff, compliance officer,
and the director of the student-athlete academic support
- Act as the immediate supervisor for graduate assistant and/or
team manager(s). Develop job descriptions, train, evaluate and
supervise the team manager(s).
- Develop and maintain film exchanges with opponents in
compliance with conference rules and regulations.
- Served as the Recruiting Coordinator for the women’s basketball
program. Develop a comprehensive basketball recruiting plan.
Establish a working list of top recruits in addition to a
position-specific list. Train, assign, and evaluate the recruiting
work with the coaching staff and head coach. Serve as the liaison
to the admission office, manage appropriate recruiting budgets,
marketing, and personnel information for basketball recruiting,
home visits, projects, and programs. Maintain active communication
with the admission staff and through phone, in-person, and
electronic means (texting, e-mail, etc.). Call, text, e-mail, and
write prospects and coaches; record all recruiting actions.
- Hold primary responsibility for coordinating campus visits,
programs, student, and parent communication. Attend high school and
club basketball games during the season, visit high schools to meet
with recruits, call and write players, and record recruiting
action. Assign coaches within the program a list of schools to
visit based on priority high school programs. Require a
comprehensive list of school visits to ensure that the program is
well-represented and known across the state and the region.
- Organize and participate in all on-campus recruiting
activities. Organize official and unofficial campus visits.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Work involves planning and directing daily requests. Ability to
plan and promote special events.
- Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or a
negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Lifting is
required (i.e., set-up of scorers’ table, etc.), and some manual
labor is expected. Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual
elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke,
unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- CPR and AED Certified.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified as essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor's degree plus two (2) plus years of coaching
experience. Successful experience as a graduate assistant or intern
in an athletic program is acceptable with one (1) year of the
required experience. Travel is necessary.
- Experience in intercollegiate athletic program administration;
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to work well with students, faculty, staff, and
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well
as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with Jenzabar
technology suite for higher education.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity