Since its founding in 1900, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has
been a birthplace of innovation. It has globally top ranked
programs in engineering, computer science and information and
communication technology as well as a rich history of
entrepreneurship. CMU is dedicated to producing creative and
technically strong engineers that have meaningful impact in their
communities and accelerate positive technological change in the
In 2011, CMU extended its global footprint into Africa as Carnegie
Mellon University Africa in Rwanda based in Rwanda’s Kigali
Innovation City. In a region booming with opportunities, CMU is the
only U.S.-based research university offering its master’s degrees
with a full-time faculty, staff, and operations in Africa. The
Africa location is fast-growing, with over 300 enrolled students
from more than 20 African countries. You can read more about
CMU-Africa's vision and mission on our website. CMU’s presence in
Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant
opportunities and challenges across the continent through
world-class education and contextually relevant research and
innovation. CMU-Africa enjoys strong collaboration and exchange
with the main campus in Pittsburgh, USA. A key CMU-Africa activity
is the Center for Inclusive Digital Transformation of Africa
(CIDTA), a multi-year pan-African partnership in higher education
and innovation to catalyze opportunities for 10,000 young people to
engage with emerging technologies and lead the digital
transformation of the continent. The Center works through the
Afretec network of African university partners to create impact
across the continent in teaching and learning, knowledge creation,
As CMU-Africa’s Instructional Teaching and Learning Specialist, you
will collaborate with cross- institutional teams to co-create
innovative and transformative programs and interventions that will
impact thousands of teaching and research faculty across Africa.
You will develop and support evidence-based teaching strategies,
best practice learning pedagogy and andragogy, course design as
well as other aspects relating to the enhancement of teaching and
learning practice. While specific responsibilities will vary, they
will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Partnering with colleagues at the Eberly Center for Teaching
Excellence and Educational Innovation at the CMU main campus in
Pittsburgh in adapting and implementing evidence-based teaching
strategies that support faculty and teaching assistants at CMU-
- Collaborating with the CMU-Africa Director of Academics to
develop and facilitate periodic workshops, seminars, events,
learning communities, and web resources for the improvement of
teaching and dissemination of research-based teaching
- Leading the Teaching and Learning pillar in the Center for
Inclusive Digital Transformation of Africa to partner with faculty
and peers across the Afretec network in developing best practices
for teaching and learning, faculty development, and engagement in
broader teaching and learning activities that support the digital
transformation of Africa.
- Developing rapport and collaborating effectively with member
institutions, faculty, and CMU main campus to ensure that teaching
and learning events are held successfully.
- Supporting instructors and faculty through creating communities
of learning practice and facilitating or expanding opportunities
for interdisciplinary programs.
- Partnering with the CIDTA Director and Associate Director of
Impact to develop monitoring and evaluation tools and impact
reports to collect data and report on teaching and learning
activities for CMU-Africa and the Afretec Network, highlighting
successes and learnings for future work plans.
- Pursuing professional development opportunities to enhance
skills in teaching & learning, diversity, equity, and
inclusion, leadership, and communication.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A master’s degree in education, instructional design, or
- 5+ years of experience working for a higher education
institution specializing in teaching and learning support,
enhancement and/or enablement. Preferred working with STEM faculty
to enhance engineering and/or technology instructional design and
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and French a
- Excellent analytical skills, both quantitative and
- The ability to persuade, negotiate, mediate, create agreement
among groups with differing interests, and create focus out of
ambiguity are essential skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to foster a positive
and collaborative work culture.
- Strong project management skills to ensure successful network
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior computer and database management skills. Including,
advanced knowledge Microsoft Office Suite and other
computer-related concepts. Possess substantial experience with
email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and presentation
- Demonstrate the highest level of integrity while promoting
Afretec and CMU’s mission and values.
- Ability to make sound decisions and clearly communicate
- Flexibility to travel across the continent and between Kigali
and the USA.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?!
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance