Lifeguards and Swim Instructors
About the Opportunity
The Trefethen Aquatic Center is looking for new Lifeguards and Swim
Instructors to add to their aquatic team. All staff members are
expected to work as both a Lifeguard and a Swim Instructor.
Documents to Submit:
- Arrive to work on-time and properly attired to perform
- Enforce facility rules and follow policies and procedures.
- Open and Close the pool according to guidelines set by the
Trefethen Aquatics Center.
- Teach swim lessons as needed.
- Assist in day-to-day operations (including, but not limited to,
staff scheduling, submitting timesheets, light cleaning, and
checking water chemistry).
- Addressing issues of concern with patrons.
- Takes initiative to ensure safety in the facility.
- Effectively scan their zone of protection and be able to
respond to any emergency.
- Limits conversation with members, guests, and other staff
members in order to maintain effective scanning.
- Anticipate, recognize, and react to all aquatic emergencies,
and provide necessary reporting to direct supervisor.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time while
maintaining optimum scanning vigilance of the pool.
- Must follow all policies and procedures set forth in the Mills
College Aquatic Center Staff Policy Handbook.
- Maintain a professional demeanor during scheduled shift.
- Uphold a standard of care in all aquatic emergencies.
- Respond to all aquatic emergencies as described by the
Emergency Action Plan.
- If needed, finds an appropriate approved staff member to
substitute for scheduled shift at least 24 hours prior to scheduled
- Be able and ready to sell swim passes and swim gear at the
Resume and Certifications
The expected hiring rate for this position is approximately USD
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work
experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit
eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid
time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as
well as commuting & transportation. Visit
for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Oakland-CA/Lifeguards-and-Swim-Instructors_R107872