The Office of Marketing and Communications at Carthage College
seeks a dynamic teammate to oversee the carthage.edu website and
support digital media strategies.
We are looking for a collaborative and adaptable individual who
will confidentially direct content on our established website,
support our digital media strategies, and take initiative to
optimize digital tools based on data and best practices.
You seek an opportunity to have an impact; work with dedicated and
creative colleagues; support a thriving college’s recruitment,
retention, and fundraising goals; and enjoy a vibrant campus
culture — with a great view. Join us at Carthage!
Reporting to the Executive Director for Marketing and
Communications, the Associate Director for Web Content:
1. Manages the Carthage College website, steering and shaping
the College’s online presence to ensure that strengths, attributes,
and programs are clear, accessible, and resonate with all
2. Analyzes and improves the performance of the Carthage website
as the College’s primary marketing tool.
- Serves as the chief advocate for an online experience that
recruits new students and communicates important information to
current Carthaginians, ensuring the website is accurate, engaging,
and easy for visitors to find, comprehend, and navigate.
- Strategizes web content priorities in accordance with
recruitment goals and marketing plans.
- Generates original content for the College’s website that is
consistent with the Carthage brand, voice, and marketing
objectives. Assists in the creation of new landing pages;
researches and writes profiles, articles, and “listicles” for the
website; selects images that captivate and inspire the College’s
- Ensures new digital content is published at regular and
appropriate times across our website, virtual tour, and other main
online marketing channels.
- Supports and maintains advertising initiatives through the
creation of advertising landing pages and campaign tracking URLs,
providing reports on results as necessary.
3. Supports news and emergency communication efforts as
- Serves as the campus’ expert in the College’s content
management system, and trains others in its use.
- Ensures website content is optimized to drive traffic through
- Uses Google Analytics to monitor and analyze site traffic,
measure effectiveness, and uncover insights.
- Compiles reports on digital activities that include suggestions
4. Seeks out, develops and executes innovative website
strategies that support the College’s goals in recruitment,
revenue, and retention.
- Plays a critical role in news and emergency/crisis
communications by effectively, carefully, and smartly using online
tools to communicate necessary information (such as weather-related
event/class cancellations) with the community.
- Serves as a member of the College’s Emergency Preparedness
- Responds quickly to crisis communication needs, including needs
that may arise outside of regular business hours.
Education and Qualifications
- Keeps current with emerging web technologies.
- Is ready to dream up fun projects, brainstorm wild ideas, and
imagine absurd possibilities with the full Marketing &
Communications team as we tackle the wide variety of projects that
come our way.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, communications,
digital marketing, publishing studies, English, or a related
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience writing, editing, and
curating copy for websites and other digital media.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in search engine
- At least 1-2 years of experience using Google Analytics.
- At least 1-2 years of experience using a website content
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise in grammar and AP style.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Demonstrated expertise and skill in proofreading and
- Knowledge and understanding of best SEO practices and
experience creating optimized web content.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of the principles and methods
used to market programs, promote events, and recruit students. Must
demonstrate expertise and skill in crafting web copy that drives
conversions, using a website content management system, and website
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and web analytics.
- Advanced computer literacy, particularly in word processing,
using internet resources, spreadsheets, web content management
systems, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Google
Workspace, and project management software.
- Must be dependable, respectful, adaptable, efficient, and
- Must be self-motivated — able to work independently and
contribute to a team.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be able to juggle multiple
projects, respond to immediate requests, and work in a high-energy,
deadline-driven atmosphere. Must be able to keep both small and
large projects on track.
- Must employ a deep respect and appreciation for our various
audiences, their interests, and media habits.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and
skills to engage constructively with diverse cultures or
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and three current
professional references. Applications without a cover letter will
not be considered. Please upload as a single PDF
“Resume Upload” section of the link below.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving
Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best
liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs,
transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from
dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre
arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate
students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is
consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton
Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World
Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of
our students, as we work together to create an environment where
all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community.
We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including
members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with
disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender
expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin,
protected veteran status or status as an individual with a