To provide hands-on academic support to students and instructors in
the graphic arts program. Works cooperatively with instructors to
ensure academic objectives are met. Performs a variety of tasks
relative to the graphic arts program.
This class is distinguished from other classes within the
Instructional Support Assistant II job class in the provision of
hands-on academic support to students and instructors in graphic
arts. Incumbents in this classification are fully trained and
thoroughly knowledgeable in graphic arts.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from an assigned supervisor.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide hands- academic support to students and instructors in
the graphic arts classroom.
- Serve as liaison between students and instructor; confer with
instructors regarding academic progress of specific students;
inform instructor of certain questions being asked and discuss
various academic matters.
- Coordinate and oversee the operation of the classroom; ensure
that supplies are ordered and that the classroom is clean and
- Set up and perform demonstrations, as required.
- Maintain an archive of class related documents.
- Conduct student orientation and explain program procedures,
goals and objectives; obtain student information and educational
- Troubleshoot general computer, printer, and audio-visual
problems; arrange for repairs as needed; order new or replacement
supplies and equipment; assist in determining use of computer
hardware and software for assigned lab.
- Collect, compile and maintain a variety of statistical
information and data including attendance hours, tutor schedules
and student records; prepare appropriate reports as requested.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Operations, procedures, goals and objectives of the program to
- Graphic arts theory including composition, form and
- Standard office, classroom and laboratory procedures and
equipment including computers and associated software
- Methods and techniques of student instruction and
- Proper language usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Principles and practices of filing and record keeping.
- Appropriate and effective communication and listening
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Provide hands-on academic support to students and instructors
in graphic arts.
- Respond to a variety of requests for assistance from students
- Listen effectively and appropriately assess student academic
- Work with students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds,
ages and academic abilities.
- Maintain and catalog classroom documents.
- Serve as liaison among students, tutors and instructor.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and
disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; extensive
use of computer keyboard.
Completion of twelfth grade or the equivalent with at least 18
units of college coursework in graphic arts or related field,
Associate's degree preferred.
Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience with at least
one year of experience tutoring or performing academic support