Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Fulbright University Vietnam seeks exceptional candidates to serve as our next Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA). This is a unique opportunity to play a leadership role in building a new Vietnamese university that is poised to influence and inspire the continued development of Vietnamese higher education. More broadly, through his/her contribution to the growth and maturation of Fulbright’s academic enterprise, the next Provost will have a rare opportunity to help redefine how liberal arts and sciences universities contribute to the social and economic transformation of developing and middle-income nations in the context of the emerging opportunities and grand challenges of the 21st century.
II. About the University
Fulbright University Vietnam is a young Vietnamese university established in 2016 on the promise of Vietnamese-American partnership, serving Vietnam and the world through teaching, research, and engagement with society. Fulbright aspires to become an apex university that educates, innovates, and solves problems. We are committed to innovation over replication, a foundational principle that begins with our identity as a university rooted in and dedicated to contributing to Vietnamese society.
Fulbright currently occupies a purpose-designed facility in District 7 of Ho Chi Minh City. In 2025, Fulbright expects to move to its permanent 15-hectare campus in the Saigon High Tech Park. Fulbright is home to approximately 70 full-time faculty and 35 academic staff. Undergraduate enrollment currently stands at around 800 students and growing, with approximately 150 graduate students in the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, the university’s graduate professional school.
Fulbright’s founding academic priorities include:
- The Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (FSPPM), a US-accredited graduate professional school established by Harvard University and incubated by the Harvard Kennedy School until the university’s founding in 2016.
- Vietnam’s first undergraduate program in the liberal arts and sciences and engineering, which graduated its first class in June 2023.
- An applied research program focused on the grand challenges facing Vietnam and the world.
- A commitment to excellence in priority fields including Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Public Policy, Vietnamese Studies, Artificial Intelligence, and Art and Media Design, among others.
- The ambition to become Vietnam’s first private apex university and to drive higher education innovation and reform in Vietnam and the region.
More information about Fulbright may be found at https://fulbright.edu.vn/.
III. About the Academic Enterprise
Fulbright’s flagship academic programs are on steep upward trajectories in scope and size.
The undergraduate program in the liberal arts and sciences, which graduated its first class in June 2023, has grown rapidly in terms of both student enrollment and faculty recruitment. From a curricular perspective, the undergraduate program’s development remains uneven, with certain fields such as engineering, computer science, and the visual and performing arts in an earlier stage of evolution than others. Fulbright’s undergraduate faculty and academic leadership are consumed by the enormous challenge of “building the airplane while flying it”—designing, delivering and improving the curriculum while ensuring that the growing student body enjoys a transformational educational experience. The need to recruit, manage, and develop a rapidly growing undergraduate faculty poses another challenge. The undergraduate program’s continued development will be guided by the twin objective of providing a high-quality liberal arts education to Vietnamese students that can be scaled to accommodate a student enrollment target of ~2,300 by 2028.
Fulbright’s founding academic unit, the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (FSPPM), enjoys a strong reputation within Vietnam resulting from its pre-2016 history as the Fulbright Economics Teaching Program, a Harvard-managed center of economics and public policy teaching and research founded in 1994. FSPPM, which was the first academic institution in Southeast Asia to be accredited by NASPPA (the Network of Schools of Public Policy and Affairs) currently offers full and part-time masters programs in public policy with a total enrollment of about 120 students. Other activities include the YSEALI Academy, which provide tailored executive programs to young Southeast Asian leaders and innovators and the Vietnam Executive Leadership Program (VELP) a policy dialog program for senior Vietnamese policymakers offered in partnership with the Vietnam Program at the Harvard Kennedy School. FSPPM’s two chief priorities—the diversification of its academic portfolio to include 21st century grand challenges including climate change and public health, and the internationalization of its academic enterprise, faculty, and students—remain at an early stage of implementation.
Fulbright is pursuing institutional accreditation from the New England Council on Higher Education (NECHE). In January 2023 NECHE granted Fulbright eligibility to seek accreditation. This is an important step in the accreditation process, after which we will seek “candidacy,” followed by formal accreditation. This process is likely to take 2-4 years.
IV. About the Role
Fulbright’s Provost provides intellectual leadership, guided by a compelling and transformative vision, to the university’s academic programs and our community of students, faculty and staff.
Our next Provost will have a unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on Fulbright as we define our future, cultivate our culture, and pursue our bold ambitions. As the leader of Fulbright’s academic enterprise, the Provost plays a critical role in leading and inspiring the university community to achieve the institution's ambitious goals and meet the expectations of our external constituencies and stakeholders.
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs reports to the President and is a core member of the university’s executive team. As a young institution laser-focused on execution and rapid growth, the university’s senior executives enjoy robust mandates to define and pursue goals and build teams in their areas of responsibility.
The following units and teams report to the Provost: the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (FSPPM), the Undergraduate Program in Engineering and the Liberal Arts and Sciences, Student Affairs and Services, Office of Institutional Research and Quality Assurance, Global Academic Partnerships, Information Technology, Libraries.
The Provost manages a growing academic affairs budget of approximately US$20 million.
The next Provost and VPAA will pursue the following mission critical objectives:
- Lead the continued design and development of Fulbright’s academic programs including the rapid scale-up of the undergraduate program and the expansion of the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management into new fields of graduate professional education including business.
- Lead the continued strengthening of organizational capabilities that are key to student and faculty success and well-being including, but not limited to: student academic and career advising, international exchange, faculty appointment, professional growth and development, and promotion.
- Lead the development of innovative initiatives in fields including artificial intelligence and computer science that brings together academic and industry partners and connects with the Vietnam’s promising innovation sector.
- Partner with the President to create the university’s next strategic plan, mapping out a vision for Fulbright’s continued development over the next 5-10 years.
- Identify, recruit and cultivate exceptional talent at all levels across the institution.
- Provide inspiring, decisive academic leadership for the university community.
- Cultivate with intentionality an academic culture that aligns with Fulbright’s mission and values and embraces excellence, freedom of expression, discussion, and debate as cornerstones of a liberal education.
- Promote a unifying “One Fulbright” vision and ethos aimed at enhancing collaboration and shared sense of community among the university’s undergraduate and graduate faculties.
- Design and activate partnerships with international institutions that advance the university’s goals including in the priority area of student exchange.
- Lead academic budgeting and financial planning; encourage and facilitate development of new revenue drivers.
- Serve as a tireless advocate for Fulbright’s story and for the liberal arts and graduate professional education.
VI. Desired Qualifications and Attributes
- Ph.D. in a field relevant to Fulbright University Vietnam’s priorities. (STEM background is advantageous.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Meaningful experience designing and leading innovative academic programs.
- Successful leadership experience in dynamic, fast-moving environments.
- Outstanding entrepreneurial instincts, insight, and ability.
- Meaningful international experience.
- Effective relationship-building and cross-cultural communication skills.
- A demonstrable appreciation of the power and potential of educational technology and blended learning.
- Commitment to undergraduate education and familiarity with the American approach to liberal arts education, as well as to graduate professional education.
- Willing to relocate to Ho Chi Minh City and travel regularly within Vietnam and abroad
VII. What Fulbright Offers
- Opportunity to join a passionate team who shares the belief in the transformative power of education and values the unique opportunity to create a new university.
- Opportunity to participate in public talks, workshops, seminars, as well as other enriching activities at Fulbright.
- A dynamic, innovative, and professional work environment.
- Internationally competitive salary insurance schemes for employees and direct family members.
VIII. How To Apply
For inquiries or to apply, please visit https://fulbright.edu.vn/provost-search/
Applications should include an up-to-date CV and Cover Letter.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Fulbright is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to foster a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. Please visit this page for our statement on Diversity: https://fulbright.edu.vn/statement-of-diversity/.