SPONSORED PROGRAM ACCOUNTANT
Number of Vacancies:
College of Engineering & Computer
Scope of Job:
Responsible for the fiscal management of externally funded
sponsored projects, including project/account set up and closeout,
maintaining and reconciling funds, and ensuring expenditures are
allowable and appropriate.
Description of Duties:
• Performs compliance reviews and fund approvals of expenditure
requests for assigned sponsored projects to determine allowability,
allocability and appropriateness.
• Provides policy and procedure interpretation to University
departments and prepares reports to federal and sponsoring
• Ensures budget adjustments are within sponsor guidelines.
• Prepares financial reports in timely and accurate manner.
• Requires understanding of effort reporting and cost sharing
• Prepares invoices and financial reports timely and submits to
sponsors after examining expenditures for adherence to awards and
• Advises sponsored program managers, investigators and staff in
matters of compliance, procedures, project account status,
termination dates, and fund balances.
• Interprets and administers rules, regulations, policies, and
procedures by the University and external funding agencies.
• Provides guidance to sponsored program managers and staff
regarding OMB Circulars A-21 and A-110.
• Conducts project account reconciliations, monitors Facilities and
Administrative Cost (indirect cost recovery) calculations, and
reviews and approves cost transfers.
• May assist Director with special projects and tasks involving
financial reporting of sponsored project activities.
• Prepares, requests and posts federal funds drawdowns.
• Monitors and collects accounts receivables for sponsored
• Prepares and maintains accounting records, ledgers and reports
for assigned sponsored projects and reconciles account reports
utilizing the University’s accounting system.
• Prepares accounting journal entries to make adjustments and/or
corrections to project accounts.
• May conduct training sessions in discipline area.
• Assists in providing schedules and reports to management
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or
related field from an accredited university.
Two (2) years of governmental or fund accounting experience.
Experience in sponsored programs accounting, including preparing
budgets. Working knowledge of contract and grant
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles, practices and
procedures. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Knowledge of grants management, to include regulations (OMB
Circulars A-21. A-110, and A-133) pertaining to contracts and
grants administration. Excellent customer service skills. Knowledge
of database and spreadsheet software and computer skills.
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to
promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all
individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In
accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans
with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is
committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures
non-discrimination in its education programs and activities,
including employment. We encourage women, minorities and
differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for
redacting any confidential information from the documents you
attach with your application. The confidential information includes
the following: *Date of Birth *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make
sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are
advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application
to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas
Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting
applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after
meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days. If you
have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)
665-2451 and/or email@example.com.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is
subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background
check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval
from the VP of HR & Talent Development .
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/40773