City Colleges of Chicago’s vision is to be recognized as the city’s
most accessible higher education engine of socioeconomic mobility
and racial equity – empowering all Chicagoans to take part in
building a stronger and more just city. The community college
system’s more than 3,500 faculty and staff serve more than 60,000
students annually at seven colleges and five satellite sites.
CCC’s Office of Student Experience (OSX) partners with college
leadership, district academic affairs leadership, and district
institutional excellence/advancement leadership to deliver strong
student enrollment and retention, completion, transfer, and
employment outcomes across CCC, and to drive equity of access and
success for students of all backgrounds. Moreover, OSX seeks to
ensure an exceptional experience for every student at every stage
of their CCC career from enrollment to post-CCC success.
Reporting to the Executive Vice Chancellor – Chief Student
Experience Officer (EVC-CSXO),the Associate Vice Chancellor
(AVC) - Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships
leadership for strategic planning, data-informed continuous
improvement and accountability, and strategic initiatives,
partnerships, and innovation spanning the CCC student experience
from enrollment to post-CCC transfer and career success.
As a proven strategic and operational leader with a passion for
driving equity and excellence in higher education, theAVC -
Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships
partners with the EVC and
OSX leaders in working collaboratively with district and college
level leaders, staff, and additional key stakeholders in planning,
implementing, and advancing student success initiatives and
partnerships, ensuring a cutting edge approach to driving a
seamless, supportive, and empowering student experience. Performs
related duties as required.
Working in partnership with the EVC - CSXO:
- Leads strategic planning and data-informed performance
management for OSX:
- Lead the annual development and execution of OSX’s strategic
planning and goal setting aligned to the CCC strategic framework
and in coordination with partner OSX and broader district and
- Facilitate target setting and ongoing progress monitoring and
reflection on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and strategic
- Propose new strategies and make case for resource commitments
to improve operations and student outcomes.
- Partner with relevant CCC stakeholders to ensure regular
incorporation of student voice in strategy setting and continuous
- Advances use of data and technology to optimize OSX
- Partner with Decision Support to establish robust data-informed
management routines to support strong and equitable student
enrollment, retention, completion, transfer, and career
- Serve as OSX lead and subject matter expert for related data
and technology optimization, partnering with internal and external
stakeholders to ensure optimal usage that accelerates impact,
including but not limited to use of tools such as EAB Navigate,
Handshake, and OSX KPI Dashboards.
- Remain abreast of new technology and automation innovations,
systematically scanning landscape for cutting edge opportunities to
integrate use of technology and data to advance student
- Drives key OSX-wide strategic partnerships and initiatives
spanning the continuum of the student experience:
- Support the EVC-CSXO in overseeing a range of strategic
partnerships and initiatives to advance success across the
continuum of CCC student enrollment and outcomes, collaborating
with college, district, and external partner stakeholders to plan
and achieve breakthrough results, and demonstrating use of
outstanding project management skills and exceptional team
leadership to drive success.
- Oversee external partnerships including but not limited to One
Million Degrees and Chicago Housing Authority programs.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to optimize Virtual
Support Services (VSS) for students.
- Oversee district-wide efforts to establish hospitality
standards to ensure a positive student experience in interactions
with all staff
- Drive strategy to journey map and improve the student
experience from enrollment to post-CCC success in order to ensure
seamless, supportive, and empowering collaboration every step of
- Serve as OSX liaison for CCC-wide student-related initiatives
owned outside of OSX, ensuring OSX thought partnership and
alignment as needed to ensure a seamless and exceptional student
- Serve as active member of OSX and CCC leadership
- Contribute and model proactive and strategic thought
leadership, student-centeredness, collaborative spirit, team
leadership, and equity mindset to advance OSX and CCC planning and
- Serve as a role model ambassador of OSX and CCC.
- Serve on CCC and partner mission-related teams as
- Represent EVC-CSXO at internal and external engagements as
needed to ensure presence of OSX-wide perspective.
- Perform other duties and lead additional special initiatives as
Executive Vice Chancellor-Chief Student Experience Officer
One Million Degrees program management, CHA program
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Education, Business, Social and Behavioral Sciences, or a related
- Five years in a leadership role in higher education, K-12,
nonprofits, or related fields, leading teams and/or complex
projects to advance strategy, manage change, and achieve measurable
- Demonstrated leadership experience related to student
enrollment, student success, and student customer service including
fluency and currency with best practices in these areas.
- Broad knowledge of higher education leadership, holistic
student support, budgeting, strategic and operational planning, and
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a multi-site environment and
build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including
college leadership, faculty, and student services and academic
- Ability to work independently, utilize professional judgment,
make sound decisions, and accept responsibility for decisions
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on institutional programs,
institutional planning, and key performance indicators.
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Willing and able to work some evenings and weekends and travel
to CCC sites and campuses.
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word,
Approved by Compensation Design & Strategy
Date: October 26, 2023
The intent of this job description is to provide a general
description of the duties and responsibilities of this position. It
is not intended to be an exhaustive set of the duties and
responsibilities, nor all of the necessary qualifications to
perform the work.
- Strategic Thinking : Formulates vision and strategy for
the future of the organization, while weighing diverse inputs,
identifying innovative opportunities, and courageously pursuing
change in service of impact. Strong analytical and problem solving
skills. Familiarity with systems and technologies that enhance
strategic planning and evaluation.
- Results Focused : Develops and executes action plans to
drive intended impact, engaging stakeholders and adjusting course
as needed to ensure on-time and high-quality results. Ability to
work independently within a broad strategic framework and CCC
- Team Leadership: Sets clear goals and works to integrate
team and program needs into cohesive actions. Delegates, coaches
and develops team members while inspiring them. Recognizes
individual strengths and builds community through recognizing
success. Strong communication and collaboration skills; team-
oriented and student centric approach to all duties.
- Equity Mindset: Understands and is committed to the
goals of equity; consistently brings an equity mindset to the
organization’s work and workplace; considers the impact of equity
related issues on students, staff, and faculty.
- Executive Presence: Demonstrates confidence, composure,
and credibility when engaging with a range of internal and external
stakeholders, including executive-level colleagues; communicates
clearly and concisely, and tailors messages to achieve buy-in of
diverse audiences; Connects with others as an active, empathetic,
and responsive listener and visionary.