Assistant Director of Catering - 500531
The Assistant Director, University Catering manages all aspects
of assigned catering events and related services to provide
innovative and efficient services, ensure excellence, and maintain
high levels of satisfaction for students, faculty, staff, and
guests through exemplary customer service and sound financial
Provides leadership, supervision, and management of catering
services to the University community.
- Maintains best practices to ensure efficiency and consistency
in department operations and customer service.
- Ensures compliance with University and departmental
- Contributes to an environment which encourages maximum
productivity, positive employee morale, teamwork, engagement, and
Participates in the conceptualization, planning, and
implementation of catering events to support the academic and
operational needs of the university.
- Contributes to creative and aesthetic decisions; develops new
creative concepts and presentation ideas.
- Plans and manages all aspects of assigned events, including
budget compliance and associated documentation.
- Trains managers and staff. Assists with performance
- Ensures compliance with Virginia ABC laws and regulations to
include distributions, service, security, inventory, and
- Ensures compliance with all applicable health and safety
- Manages equipment and small wares inventories.
- Manages special projects for the department, as assigned.
- Maintains high quality standards for customer service,
planning, and logistics. Responds to changing needs and
- Promotes a positive relationship with all internal and external
- Collaborates with service providers in Campus Business
Operations, Information Technology, University Police, Parking
Services and other departments to assess and continuously improve
systems, processes, and technology.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy to
work with the University's hierarchy; maintains
- Ability to apply critical thinking, exercise flexibility, and
work calmly and efficiently under pressure.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution
- Effective management of diverse human resource needs. Training
and delegation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of food and beverage, and all aspects of
catering planning and execution with demonstrated creativity.
Thorough knowledge of best practices in catering management.
- Ability to learn and use current technologies. Knowledgeable in
the use of catering-related computer software.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to
produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving
history in good standing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in hotel, hospitality, or event management, or
related field, or combination of equivalent experience and
- Three or more years in a higher education setting
- Minimum of five years' catering experience.
- Minimum of three years' supervisory experience.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Work schedule is determined by catering events - 7 days/week,
between 6:00 a.m. and midnight, as required
- This position is designated as essential personnel and are
subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency
basis and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by
the immediate supervisor.
SALARY STRUCTURE: Pay Grade 7 (Hiring Range $54,413.00 to
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and
determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive
change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from
downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy
of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and
cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions.
There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and
student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which
values the expression of differences in ways that promote
excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and
institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our
academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and
candidates who support diversity. EOE