Founded in 1919, AUC is a leading English-language, American and
Egyptian-accredited institution of higher education and center of
intellectual, social and cultural life in the Middle East. Its
community of students, parents, faculty, staff, trustees, alumni
and other generous sponsors represent more than 60 countries. The
University stands at the crossroads of world cultures and acts as a
vibrant forum for reasoned argument, spirited debate and
understanding across a diversity of languages and human
The University offers 36 undergraduate, 44 Master's and two PhD
programs rooted in a liberal arts education that encourages
students to think critically and find creative solutions to
conflicts and challenges facing both the region and the world. AUC
embraces a globally recognized professional community and offers an
English-based education that meets the needs of the dynamic
Egyptian and broader regional economies.
The American University in Cairo invites applications and
nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Continuing
The Dean will act as the School's chief academic and
administrative officer as a practiced and collaborative manager,
working closely with other senior administrative officers to
enhance programs both within the School and across the University.
Responsibilities include leading the School of Continuing Education
as a strategic business unit; managing administrative functions of
the School; coordinating, evaluating and improving curricula and
programs; promoting excellence in instruction; expanding the
University's educational outreach to diverse audiences; determining
resource priorities and preparing the school's budget; and
representing the school to other divisions of the University and to
external publics. The Dean directly supervises the administrative
staff supporting the School departments and units. The Dean reports
to the Provost.
Responsibilities of the Dean include:
- The Dean provides leadership and executive management to the
different administrative units and departments that comprise the
- The Dean is responsible for strategic planning, budgeting,
development, implementing, evaluating and improving programming in
multiple disciplines in a variety of delivery modes, taking
advantage of any innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities, and
maintaining accreditation and professional standards.
- The Dean is the School's chief executive responsible for all
staff and students, and for creating innovative opportunities to
assure the development and progression of student services and
- The Dean must demonstrate a deep commitment to a strong
curriculum that is aligned with international standards and
relevant to business, industry and community needs.
- The Dean is expected to lead and coordinate the governance of
the School, lead the processes of the School administrator
selection and overseeing the processes of faculty and staff
selection and retention and coordinate the professional development
of School managers and staff and their performance appraisals.
- The Dean is expected to enhance instruction, ensure student
satisfaction, provide collaborative leadership to staff, lead the
School efforts toward achieving University goals and promote the
School through enhancement of external relationships.
- The Dean is to oversee the development of an effective
communications plan and student recruitment strategies.
- The Dean is also expected to evaluate overall School
productivity in number and range of students served, new
programming initiatives and partnerships.
- The Dean is to supervise and support staff that promotes
excellence in instruction, customer service and creative
- The Dean is to lead the setting of an annual business plan and
budget for the School and provides leadership in achieving the net
targets established by the plan.
- The Dean works closely with the Office of Advancement to
develops and implement fundraising strategies to support the school
- The Dean is to serve as a member of the Provost Council, and
the Senior Leadership Group.
- The Dean is to perform other related duties as recommended by
The successful candidate must have at least an earned Master's
Degree while a Doctorate Degree is preferable, and at least five
years of senior managerial experience in educational leadership in
continuing and professional education. Specifically, the successful
candidate must meet the following job requirements:
- Should be an internationally-experienced educational leader
with interpersonal and leadership who has vision, imagination, and
energy, possessing skills necessary to set and achieve ambitious
- Extensive experience in continuing and professional
- A record that shows a meaningful commitment to and demonstrated
accomplishment in issues associated with inclusiveness and
- A record demonstrating creative thinking and the ability to
make clear, informed decisions.
- A record demonstrating superior strong oral, written, and
interpersonal communication skills and the ability to articulate a
compelling message to diverse audiences.
- A proven record of revenue generation.
- Experience in accreditation standards and agencies.
- A collaborative leader with a proven track record for bringing
groups together to meet objectives
- Experience with marketing programs successfully.
- Experience in strategic planning and the ability to work
collaboratively with key staff to identify the priorities of the
School and develop strategies and tactics for achieving them.
- Commitment to professional, community-based, applied, and
- Evidence of knowledge of local and regional information and
national and international trends in continuing and professional
education. A clear awareness of innovative pedagogical practices
and the use of instructional technologies to support teaching and
- Financial acumen and proven abilities in budget and financial
- Demonstrated strength in customer service, delivering results
and thinking globally.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop partnerships.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately.
All applicants must submit the following documents via the
online system: a) an updated CV; b) a letter of interest; c) names
and contact information for at least three references familiar with
your professional background; d) a completed AUC Personnel
Information Form (PIF).
Your letter of interest should address your ability to lead a
multi-disciplinary school and create a collaborative and inclusive