Reference Librarian and Liaison to the School of Health Professions
Clinical, Academic, and Research Engagement
Research, Instruction, and Scholarly Communications
UAB Libraries seeks a creative, collaboratively minded, and enthusiastic librarian to join our team as Reference Librarian and Liaison to the School of Health Professions. As a core member of the Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences department for Clinical, Academic, and Research Engagement, the Liaison to the School of Health Professions is responsible for a broad range of research, scholarly, and instructional support to faculty, staff, and students with the nationally ranked UAB School of Health Professions.
This position is a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position with rank dependent on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. Salary is commensurate with experience with excellent fringe benefits including TIAA.
This position reports to the Department Head of Clinical, Academic, and Research Engagement within Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences.
- Serving as library liaison to the UAB School of Health Professions.
- Offering instructional services, including teaching classes and designing face-to-face and online instructional materials, to support research and evidence-based practice.
- Providing general reference services, including answering online reference questions (chat and e-mail).
- Providing specialized reference services including in-depth consultations, mediated database searching, identifying appropriate knowledge-based resources, and developing search strategies.
- Contributing to the library’s support of expert-level reviews, including comprehensive literature reviews, by leading effective project consultations and participating in research projects, as appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining specialized knowledge of the library’s databases, search interfaces, and other resources in order to effectively match resources with information needs.
- Staying current with health sciences education trends, curricular structures, pedagogical methods, and innovative instructional delivery.
- Serving on appropriate internal and external committees and participating in relevant regional and national library and health sciences professional organizations and associations.
- Monitoring trends in health sciences librarianship and participating in relevant continuing education opportunities in both librarianship and health sciences disciplines or practices.
- Engaging in research and scholarship as required of UAB Libraries faculty.
Required qualifications include:
- American Library Association (ALA) accredited master’s degree or other advanced degree(s) appropriate to the position.
- Experience searching biomedical literature such as CINAHL, PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, Embase, or Google Scholar. Experience can include relevant graduate-level coursework.
- Experience providing reference services.
- Experience designing and conducting presentations to groups about library resources.
- Strong user-focused public services orientation.
- Flexibility to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
Preferred qualifications include:
- At least one year of professional library experience working in a public, academic, academic health sciences, biomedical library, or clinical/research environment.
- A degree or formal coursework in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) or health sciences field of study.
- Knowledge of citation management software and screening tools, such as EndNote and Covidence.
- Experience performing literature reviews.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with various constituencies.
To learn more about the University of Alabama at Birmingham click here. To learn more about the UAB Libraries click here.
Interested candidates should apply at: https://uab.peopleadmin.com/postings/19735