The person in this position will coordinate the tutoring center
services and the writing center, hire and manage the schedule of
tutors, maintain the records of services provided, act as the
liaison between the center and faculty and serve as the primary
contact for ESL Students.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work experience
Work authorization (Required)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Establish a working relationship with faculty and staff.
· Hire tutors and writing instructors.
· Supervise and manage student employees and staff.
· Manage the scheduling of staff to meet the needs of
· Update tutor materials as needed.
· Coordinate tutoring goals with administration and faculty to
meet the goals of the student.
· Maintain necessary paperwork and files relevant to tutoring
and the writing center.
· Communicate with faculty regarding student referrals.
· Help to identify that need tutoring or writing resources.
· Intervene in any issues that may arise between tutors and
· Conduct instructional sessions as requested.
· Supervises tutors to work with students across disciplines on
a range of writing projects in one-on-one and small group tutoring
sessions regardless of academic level.
· Provide a high level of customer service to all members of the
· Assist with University events that impact student success
· Work with the Library Director in strategic planning for
· Coordinate ESL student services.
· Provide tutoring to students in areas of expertise.
· Supervise tutors to work with students who need assistance on
APA, MLA, Chicago formatting regardless of academic level.
· Participate in required training, meetings, and professional
developments activities as assigned.
· Management of financial resources.
· Promote the services of the tutoring and the writing center
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft
Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe.
· Analytical, problem-solving, and written communication
· Strong editing skills
· Strong organizational skills that allow the ability to manage
· Ability to work independently and within a team
· Knowledge of education programs is a plus.
· Ability to accept and incorporate constructive feedback.
· Attention to detail.
· An interest in and empathy for why students may struggle with
writing and other academic courses.
· A genuine interest in helping others, sharing knowledge, and
collaborating with peers and professional staff.
· Refined listening and communication skills.
· An awareness of fundamental components of college-level
writing and other necessary academic skills.
St. Thomas University is a Catholic university sponsored by the
Archdiocese of Miami committed to academic and professional success
guided by its Catholic identity. All employees are therefore
expected to respect the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and
support the University’s religious mission. All employees hereby
acknowledge their familiarity and support of the religious
affiliation, mission and values of St. Thomas University.
Equal Employment Opportunity
St. Thomas University is an equal opportunity employer that
promotes a diverse and inclusive organization. It is the policy of
the University to fill each vacancy with the candidate who
represents the best fit for the position and to promote and
transfer employees from within whenever possible and practical.
Employment decisions are made on the basis of the candidate’s
personal capabilities, qualifications, and ability to assist the
University in fulfilling its mission without discrimination. With
regard to the latter, the University’s program of recruiting
employees for mission aims to inform prospective employees of the
University’s mission and to help them and hiring personnel
determine how they will support and contribute to the University’s
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Employer. E-Verify is an
Internet-based system that allows an employer, using information
reported on an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility
Verification, to determine the eligibility of that employee to work
in the United States. STU will utilize E-Verify® to verify
employment eligibility for all newly hired employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Miami Gardens, FL 33054: Reliably commute or planning to
relocate before starting work (Required)
- Please provide contact information for three (3) professional
- Tutoring: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: In person