The Department of Physics within the University of Cincinnati’s College of Arts & Sciences seeks candidates for an Assistant/Associate Professor-Educator to start August 15, 2024 (rank will be commensurate with credentials). This is a non-tenure-track nine-month appointment with an initial contract for three years; reappointments based upon performance reviews. Hiring at the higher rank of Associate Professor-Educator will be considered in cases in which the applicant holds a higher position at a comparable university.
The Department of Physics seeks individuals to join our drive to engage students and maximize learning in our classrooms, with a particular focus on student success and retention in our introductory level undergraduate courses. Successful candidates will be expected to use research-based and active learning approaches, evaluate new models of instruction, embrace online learning, and contribute to the Physics Education Research activities of the department. Successful candidates will also be expected to address the needs of a diverse student population, including differences in ethnicity, race, first-generation college status, accessibility, and academic preparation, through course materials, teaching strategies, and advisement.
- Teach undergraduate introductory level physics courses (in-person/online) with an emphasis on the use of research-based active learning approaches. Instruct laboratory courses, as needed.
- Evaluate new models of instruction.
- Work collaboratively with instructors teaching parallel sections of course.
- Teach lecture and lab courses for physics majors, as needed.
- Hold regular office hours.
- Mentor undergraduate capstone projects, as needed.
- Train teaching assistants, as needed.
- Additional responsibilities include participation in service activities, such as membership in university and department committees, and contributing to the Physics Education Research activities of the department (for example, by using educational materials developed by faculty at UC as well as specific assessment tools to evaluate their effectiveness).
Prior to the effective date of appointment candidates must have either:
- A Doctorate in Physics or a closely related field.
- A Doctorate in Science Education with a Master’s degree in Physics.
For the Associate Rank, must also either currently hold or recently have held an Associate rank title at their current/most recent university.
Interested and qualified candidates must complete our online application. In addition to the application we require the following: (1) a cover letter which briefly describes prior teaching and undergraduate research mentoring experiences (if applicable), (2) a current curriculum vitae which includes a list of teaching experiences (if applicable), (3) a statement of teaching philosophy regarding use of research-based and active learning approaches (up to 2 pages) and (4) the names and contact information for three references. Should we move forward with your application, we will ask for letters of reference and may contact your listed references. Additionally, a substantive response to the request within the job application to submit your personal statement related to Diversity and Inclusion contributions is required.
A link to the online application at the university’s employment site may be found at https://tinyurl.com/5yh9wdej
Review of applications begins January 1, 2024 and continues until position is filled. Start date is August 15, 2024.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.