Vice President for Innovation and Business Development
Fulbright University Vietnam seeks exceptional candidates to serve as our first Vice President for Innovation and Business Development. This is a unique opportunity to play a leadership role in building a new Vietnamese university that is poised to influence and inspire the continued development of Vietnamese higher education and advance Vietnam’s continued transformation through education, research, and civic engagement. More broadly, through his/her contribution to Fulbright’s innovative impact model, the next Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will have a rare opportunity to help redefine how 21st century universities engage with their broader social and economic environments to contribute both to institutional sustainability and the public good.
II. About the University
Fulbright University Vietnam is a young university established in 2016 on the promise of Vietnamese-American partnership, serving Vietnam and the world through teaching, research, and engagement with society. Fulbright aspires to become an apex university that educates, innovates, and solves problems. We are committed to innovation over replication, a foundational principle that begins with our identity as a university rooted in and dedicated to serving Vietnamese society.
Fulbright currently occupies a purpose-designed facility in District 7 of Ho Chi Minh City. In 2025, Fulbright expects to move to its permanent 15-hectare campus in the Saigon High Tech Park. Fulbright is home to approximately 70 full-time faculty and nearly 200 total staff. Undergraduate enrollment currently stands at around 800 students and growing, with approximately 150 graduate students in the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, the university’s graduate professional school.
Fulbright’s founding academic priorities include:
- The Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (FSPPM), a US-accredited graduate professional school established by Harvard University and incubated by the Harvard Kennedy School until the university’s founding in 2016.
- Vietnam’s first undergraduate program in the liberal arts and sciences and engineering, which graduated its first class in June 2023.
- An applied research program focused on the grand challenges facing Vietnam and the world.
- A commitment to excellence in priority fields including Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Public Policy, Vietnamese Studies, Artificial Intelligence, and Art and Media Design, among others.
- The ambition to become Vietnam’s first private apex university and to drive higher education innovation and reform in Vietnam and the region.
More information about Fulbright may be found at https://fulbright.edu.vn/.
III. Position Context
Since its founding, Fulbright University Vietnam has embraced an ethos of “innovation not replication.” Although we are inspired by the finest traditions of American higher education, including the liberal arts philosophy that is central to our identity, we are determined to avoid uncritically shaping our institution in the model of legacy institutions. To do so would risk missing opportunities for our university to design new programs that respond to Vietnam’s unique opportunities and challenges.
Fulbright’s commitment to innovation extends to our business model. To thrive as a nonprofit Vietnamese university, we believe Fulbright must tirelessly pursue opportunities to diversify our revenue base in order to reduce the university’s reliance on traditional revenue streams such as tuition from degree programs, government grants, and philanthropy. We are determined to design and deliver a diverse range of programs and services, appropriate for our identity as a nonprofit academic institution, that meet different segments of Vietnam’s demand for human and knowledge capital while generating revenue for the university.
The potentially promising “product lines” we have identified include: executive education for policymakers and executives, specialized short courses and stackable certificates in management and technical fields such as AI, customized corporate training, sponsored research and consulting, online programs, customized exchange programs, and business incubation and entrepreneurship.
Combining elements of in-house entrepreneur, program designer, coach, and ambassador, the Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will play a leadership role in the continued diversification of Fulbright’s programming and business model.
The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development’s primary responsibilities include:
- Designing Innovative Programming. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will lead the university’s effort to identify and pursue new program development opportunities that leverage the university’s capabilities, align with our strategic priorities and values, and respond to external demand. In some areas, such as executive education and sponsored research, this will likely involve expanding and strengthening existing activities, but the Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will also endeavor to identify new market opportunities. In executing this mandate, the Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will work closely with units and team across the university, such as center directors, as well as other university stakeholders including the Board of Trustees and the Global Advisory Board to conceptualize, design, and prototype new offerings.
- Forging Partnerships: Frequently the most efficient and effective way for Fulbright to pursue new business development opportunities will be through collaboration with external partners. For this reason, the Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will pursue a university-wide corporate engagement strategy aimed at establishing mutually beneficial partnerships with corporate, academic, and public and nonprofit counterparts. Consistent with Fulbright’s commitment to technology and emerging fields including AI, the Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will spearhead the deepening of the university’s ties to Vietnam’s emerging innovation sector and to international innovation hubs such as Silicon Valley, Singapore, etc.
- Support Fundraising. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will oversee the university’s development office, ensuring a coherent and strategic approach to cultivating potential donors both in the Vietnamese context and beyond, including in the United States.
- Building and Empowering Teams. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will work with the university’s undergraduate and graduate academic programs (including, but not limited to, career services and student mobility teams) and other university initiatives such as the YSEALI Academy, the New Turing Institute @Fulbright, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and the Vietnam Studies Center to identify and pursue new revenue-generating activities. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will champion an agile, entrepreneurial culture across the university that encourages creative thinking and an appetite for innovation.
- Supporting Student Growth and Career Success. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will develop opportunities for Fulbright students to access high-impact internships and other pre-professional experiences and will oversee the career services team helping Fulbright students and alumni to advance their careers and make a difference in the world.
- Representing Fulbright to External Stakeholders. The Vice President for Innovation and Business Development will serve as a senior representative to important external constituencies including the domestic and international business communities as well as current and potential donors.
IV. Desired Qualifications and Attributes
Fulbright University Vietnam seeks candidates who possess many of the following characteristics:
- A B.A. or B.S is required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A track record of success designing and implementing strategic initiatives in complex, mission-driven organizations. Prior experience in higher education is helpful but not required.
- An entrepreneurial mindset coupled with excellent overall supervisory, project management and financial management skills. Demonstrated decision-making acumen in building programs, budgeting, strategic partnerships, and operations. The ability to build, motivate, and lead high-performing teams.
- A proven ability to build and foster an open, fair, and equitable culture that inspires, builds trust, and manages conflict, among a highly diverse set of staff, faculty, researchers and students internally, and community, business and governmental partners externally.
- Exceptional influencing and relationship-building skills, capable of engaging core stakeholders across a diverse organization to strategy that align with organizational goals and objectives.
- An excellent communicator and team player with good interpersonal and influencing skills, able to foster a productive and engaging university environment that aligns with common goals and creates cross-functional collaboration.
- Exceptional strategic and innovative thinker.
Note: This position requires fulltime residency in Ho Chi Minh City with regular travel within Vietnam and abroad.
V. What Fulbright Offers
- Opportunity to join a passionate team who shares the belief in the transformative power of education and values the unique opportunity to create a new university.
- Opportunity to participate in public talks, workshops, seminars, as well as other enriching activities at Fulbright.
- A dynamic, innovative, and professional work environment.
- Internationally competitive salary insurance schemes for employees and direct family members.
VI. How to Apply
Please include a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position along with your resume to http://apply.interfolio.com/135929
The position will remain open until filled; we are expecting to begin interviews in late November.
Confidential inquiries about the post are welcome and may be made directly to Fulbright’s President, Dr. Scott Fritzen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fulbright is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to foster a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. Please visit this page for our statement on Diversity: https://fulbright.edu.vn/statement-of-diversity/