Reports To and Evaluated by
Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business and two years
payroll experience. Strong time management and organizational
skills with the ability to work efficiently and multitask
effectively. Must have strong detail orientation skills and the
ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Experience with payroll
and tax processing software programs required. Working knowledge
and experience using Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel.
Good working knowledge of basic accounting practices, payroll laws
and regulations, and tax laws.
Must be able to demonstrate the Morton College core values of
compassion, fairness, respect, responsibility, tolerance, and
Bookkeeping and accounting courses desirable. Cooperative attitude
and good oral and written communication skills. Ability to interact
well with internal and external customers. Experience using
Ellucian Colleague is a plus. Bilingual in Spanish/English is
preferred. Knowledge and understanding of federal and state tax
laws within college/payroll policies and collective bargaining
agreements is a plus.
The Payroll Coordinator manages all aspects of the administration
and processing of the College’s payroll for faculty, staff, and
student employees. This includes, but is not limited to,
timekeeping, payroll processing, processing required payments for
taxes, garnishments, insurance deductions, union dues, etc.
Specific Job Duties
- Enter, adjust, coordinate, and maintain pay records, pay
amounts, and deductions including those for state and federal
withholding taxes and all benefit programs and voluntary payroll
deductions after receiving the proper backup/authorization.
- Manage electronic timekeeping processes and data for non-exempt
staff and student employees.
- Record and maintain records for all payroll transactions in
addition to preparing/producing payroll reports for management and
- Print checks and process direct deposits semi-monthly.
- Assist employees with questions and concerns related to payroll
- Work closely with other departments to make sure all payroll
information is submitted on time for processing.
- Prepare all contributions checks and mail them with required
backup documentation with the assistance of the Accounts Payable
- Reconcile payments of state and federal withholding taxes with
amounts reported on W-2 statements.
- Review and prepare W-2 statements and distribute them
- Submit Federal and State taxes.
- Review, prepare and submit Federal and State quarterly
- Reconcile benefit general ledger accounts quarterly.
- Manage paid time off leave requests and post against employee
- Ensure compliance with all related organizational policies,
procedures, industry regulations, tax, and deduction laws.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with posting of journal entries,
cash receipts/disbursements, budget transfers, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Morton College is a public college located in Cicero, IL (minutes
from downtown Chicago). Morton College is the second oldest college
in the State of IL. As a comprehensive community college who is
recognized by the IL Community College Board, Morton College’s
mission is: To enhance the quality of life of our diverse community
through exemplary teaching and learning opportunities, community
service, and life-long learning. Morton College is an HSI –
Hispanic Serving Institution.
We strive to have a culture where our community comes first! Morton
College is dedicated to diversity and is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get
the best diverse talent to join our team. Minorities, women,
individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for
Higher Education is the place to be! Morton College is the place to
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn about this employment opportunity?
- Morton "careers" website
- Internal posting
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed jobs
- newspaper/trade journal
- * What is the highest degree completed?
- H.S. Diploma
- * Are you at State Universities Retirement System (SURS)
annuitant, currently receiving a monthly annuity, or plan to apply
for a retirement annuity under SURS within the next three (3)
- * How many years of experience do you possess?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 to 3 years
- 3 to 5 years
- 5 to 7 years
- More than 7 years
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae