Eastern University is recruiting a dynamic and collaborative team
player to join our Advancement team as Coordinator of Alumni Events
& Volunteer Management.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Alumni & Family
Engagement, the Coordinator of Alumni Events & Volunteer
Management plays an integral role in Alumni Engagement. This
individual works within Advancement to assist in the efficient and
orderly execution of functions related to strategically engaging
alumni and families, building affinity for Eastern University, its
Colleges, and assisting with institutional fundraising efforts
through engaging alumni, students, and their families, along with
friends to the University.
Eastern’s current 14-member Advancement Office raises approximately
$3 million - $5 million annually and is looking to increase this in
the coming years through grant proposals, documented legacy gifts,
unrestricted gifts to the annual fund, and strengthening alumni and
family engagement. The office has a collegial and collaborative
ethos where staff communicate with one another and work together
toward common goals. The successful candidate is expected to be a
positive addition to the team.
- Proactively identify, manage, and train a pipeline of potential
volunteers for various on-campus, local, regional and online
- Assist and support the Assistant Director of Alumni &
Family Engagement in various projects related to reunions. Manage
the process for the 50 Year Golden Alumni Memory Book for
distribution at Homecoming each year.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Alumni &
Family Engagement, organize Eastern University Alumni Advisory
Board (EUAAB) meetings and provide staff assistance to the
- Oversee the annual alumni awards program; work with the EUAAB
to develop a strategy to build and maintain a pipeline of alumni
nominations, and serve as the point person for annual alumni
- Identify and create, in collaboration with the Assistant
Director of Alumni & Family Engagement, additional networking
and fellowship programs and activities that strengthen the
connection between alumni, as well as with current students and the
- Provides strong teamwork and partnership with the Assistant
Director to create and curate content to provide engaging daily
content on our social media channels such as Instagram, Facebook
and LinkedIn and explore other avenues of digital engagement,
keeping in mind philanthropic priorities of the University, along
with ways to highlight or engage possible prospects through this
- Maintain a high level of customer service to constituent
requests that come through the alumni email account, phone, and
actively monitor alumni social media channels and online networking
platform to engage with our followers.
- Partner with Advancement colleagues on various engagement
events and projects as needed.
- In partnership with Assistant Director, communicate attendance
information with Advancement colleagues, focusing on both pre and
post event communication follow up, along with assisting with
prospecting attendees, as needed.
- Attend University events that involve alumni, families and
Alumni Advisory Board.
- Additional out of town travel may be needed throughout the
- Perform other related duties as required. All specific projects
or responsibilities are subject to change and may shift at any time
due to evolving institutional priorities, staffing transitions, or
STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL
- Ensure all events are consistently executed with the highest
level of quality, cost-effectiveness, and overall support for the
University’s mission and strategic goals.
- Assist the Senior Director and Assistant Director to evaluate
and monitor effectiveness of alumni and family engagement-related
programs by identifying problems, recommending improvements and
opportunities for growth in the spirit of continuous quality
improvement, and assist in instituting changes, as needed.
- Engages in learning best practices and how to redefine said
practices, when appropriate, in a changing environment.
- Document constituent activities and communications in the
University Advancement CRM.
- Manages volunteers, including communicating needs and
expectations of various volunteer roles.
Strategic Thinking - Keeps the University's strategic objectives in
mind when developing and contributing to plans and initiatives for
Alumni and Family Philanthropic Engagement. Is able to explain the
link between program goals and the University's strategic direction
Change Adaptability - Stays focused on own work and
responsibilities in a changing work environment. Responds
positively and is supportive of change initiatives.
Communication and Networking - Articulates thoughts clearly and is
able to offer logical arguments to gain acceptance of an idea in a
positive manner. Consistently communicates to colleagues and/or
supervisor ensuring that everybody is well informed. Proactively
builds informal networks at their own level and uses them to drive
results within the EU community.
Drive for Results - Actively supports the continuous improvement of
policies to reduce inefficiencies and better achieve goals.
Respectfully holds people accountable for the quality of their work
and minimal errors. Strives to achieve challenging goals and works
Talent Development - Proactively spends time with Advancement
colleagues to build rapport.
Minimum Requirements :
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of one (1) year experience related to successful
volunteer management, alumni relations, community engagement, and
special events. Equivalent combination of education and experience
may be considered.
- Proficient in using relational databases, understanding
information management and have hands-on experience with Microsoft
Office suite, Excel, and other appropriate electronic resources,
along with ability to learn new systems.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build,
foster, and maintain positive professional relationships with
colleagues and other constituencies.
- Excellent writing, communication, proofreading, editing, and
organizational skills. This is also essential for interaction with
University leadership, Advancement staff, support staff, academic
leaders, university faculty and staff, alumni, volunteers,
prospects, and donors.
- Strong organizational and time management skills focused on
details and meeting deadlines. Calendar driven.
- Ability to work independently and as a team, to prioritize work
efficiently, and to meet deadlines while maintaining a positive
- Ability to work with a diverse range of individuals in a
- Ability to be creative, engaging, adaptive, and resilient.
- Ability to handle confidential material and situations with
sensitivity, tact, and the utmost discretion.
- Ability to carry out multiple activities/projects concurrently
- Technology and social media savvy.
- Travel is required, along with a willingness to work evenings
and weekends as needed.
- Strong commitment to cooperative teamwork.
- Familiarity with and success in the complex environment of a
- Knowledge of best practices of alumni and/or volunteer
- Knowledge of the principles of fundraising and relationship
- The successful candidate embodies values of caring and
compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation. S/He
will commit to the mission and values of Eastern University and
will seek to treat each member of the campus community with
fairness, dignity and respect, seeking a spirit of unity and
harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.