The Cyber Convergence Center (C3) at the College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST) invites applications for a non-teaching Faculty Researcher position. This position is available as a remote appointment within Arizona for highly qualified candidates. This career-track Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice position can begin as early as January 2024. This position will be a fiscal (12 month) appointment. The Research Faculty Member is a dedicated professional responsible for advancing the research mission of the institution through the pursuit of scholarly activities, research projects, and contributions to the academic community. We are seeking interdisciplinary-focused colleagues eager to collaborate across the college’s research programs. CIIO offers the Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in the traditional face-to-face modality on the main UA campus in Tucson in addition to a fully online format. CIIO also offers an online Master of Science in Cyber & Information Operations in a fully online format. The University of Arizona’s College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST) is the only college at UA that offers the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree. CAST education is facilitated by the college’s one-of-a-kind Virtual Learning Environment that includes CyberApolis, a unique virtual city of 15,000 AI-driven bots who conduct business, engage in cyber media, and demonstrate human vulnerabilities that support scenarios in our classes. CIIO’s Cyber Operations program was ranked the #1 online, undergraduate cybersecurity program by Academic Influence. In addition, CIIO is home to a National Security Agency (NSA) designated Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations (CAE-CO) and an Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) designated Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence (IC CAE). CAST is the University of Arizona’s only college headquartered in Sierra Vista. Sierra Vista is located 75 miles southeast of the Tucson campus and is the home to Fort Huachuca and the Army’s Military Intelligence Center of Excellence. CAST enjoys a robust education and research partnership with city, county, state, and government partners to include multiple relationships with Fort Huachuca’s many education, test, and evaluation organizations.
This career-track appointment is not eligible for tenure.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The expected faculty load for this position is 100% research.
- Develop and conduct Applied Research projects that align with the CAST/C3 priorities.
- Secure research funding through grant applications and proposals.
- Develop and publish research papers to leading peer reviewed journals and present at conferences.
- Provide academic guidance and mentorship to students, including advising on research projects.
- Collaborate with colleagues, both within the institution and externally, on interdisciplinary research projects.
- Foster partnerships and collaborations with industry, government agencies, and other research organizations.
- Stay current with developments in their field through ongoing education and professional development activities.
- Attend conferences, workshops, and seminars to network and share research insights.
- Fulfill administrative duties related to research, such as managing research budgets or lab facilities.
- Ph.D. in Cyber Operations, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or a closely related field.
- Specific and demonstrable experience in one of the following areas:
Human Machine Teaming
High Performance Computing
- The initial appointment will be at the level of Assistant Professor of Practice, but an appointment at Associate Professor of Practice level may be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates. To be considered for an appointment above the rank of Assistant Professor of Practice, candidates must have an internationally recognized record of distinguished research achievement, leadership, and teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience engaging in interdisciplinary research.
- Demonstrated experience in securing funded research projects.
- Experience presenting at major conferences.
- Demonstrated publication portfolio.
- Experience mentoring junior/student researchers.