TITLE: Social Media Manager
DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture
REPORTS TO: Marketing Director
CLASSIFICATION: Staff-12 months
STANDARD WORK HOURS: 37.5
LOCATION: On-Site Main Campus
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Social Media Manager in the Kentucky State University (KSU) Land Grant Program (LGP) will provide leadership to the LGP Media and Communications group working directly with KSU Marketing and Communications. The Media and Communication unit provides support for the faculty and staff of the LGP programs and assists in University wide media initiatives.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Social Media Manager in the Kentucky State University (KSU) Land Grant Program (LGP) will provide leadership to the LGP Media and Communications working directly with KSU Marketing and Communications. The Social Media Manager manages top-level University social platforms for LGP and KSU. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in creating and implementing digital and social programs, be a self-starter and results-driven, and have strong teamwork, communication, and marketing skills. This position will manage the social media marketing strategy for the top-level platforms and create and direct high-quality content in written and visual form, including photos, graphics, and videos. This position will also analyze and closely monitor social accounts, campaigns, and posts to determine efficacy, make real-time changes to improve reach and focus, and add to the long-term success of social media accounts. This position will also create, maintain, and regularly share detailed analytics of social platforms and progress toward goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The Social Media Manager manages LGP and KSU social media platforms.
- Manage the social media marketing strategy for the top-level platforms, to communicate LGP and KSU research, Extension, and education information to stakeholders.
- Work directly with KSU Marketing and Communications personnel and develop local, state, and national media initiatives.
- Execute, document, and schedule organic social content that play to the audiences of each platform and utilize and portray the best of KSU.
- Create and direct high-quality content in written and visual form, including photos, graphics, and videos.
- Work with other communicators across campus to ensure all university social media channels are following best practices and working to grow their audiences.
- Source user-generated content from alumni, professors, current students, and influencers for cross-promotional opportunities. Serve as a member of the emergency communications team by identifying threats, sharing content developed by University Relations/Creative Services, monitoring sentiment, documenting posts, and reporting results.
- Maintain university social media guidelines, as well as provide recommendations, training, and support on best practices for social media and digital engagement for campus communicators on an as needed basis.
- Analyze and closely monitor social accounts, campaigns, and posts to determine efficacy, make real-time changes to improve reach and focus, and add to the long-term success of social media accounts.
- Create, maintain, and regularly share detailed analytics of social platforms and progress toward goals.
- Track trends and conduct competitive analysis of other university content and social media channels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES: The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Communications, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related area. One to three years related experience in social media management.
Licensing and Certifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies within the university and industry setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team setting and work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to lead a diverse, skilled communications team.
- Ability to work under deadline.
- Proficiency in computer software for desktop publishing including Adobe Creative Suite and others.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Work could involve some exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Requires some standing or walking. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel required.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.