GSU Log Number
To Be Determined
Dental Hygiene Open Rank Tenure Track Faculty
Georgia State University is a national model for innovation and
opening opportunities for all, ranked 2nd most innovative by U.S.
News & World Report, ranked 1st among public universities in
undergraduate teaching, the number 1 nonprofit university to award
bachelor’s degrees to African American students, 6th in the country
for its first-year student experience, and highly ranked for
enabling the social and economic mobility of its students. Among
the most diverse universities in the nation, Georgia State opens
global perspectives as the number 1 U.S. public university sending
African American students to study abroad.
A regional gateway to higher education, the five suburban Perimeter
College campuses provide more than 30 associate degree pathways.
The downtown Atlanta campus offers more than 250 degree programs in
100 fields of study at the undergraduate, graduate and
first-professional degree levels.
With five university-wide research centers and numerous centers and
institutes at the college and school levels, Georgia State’s
interdisciplinary, dynamic and productive research enterprises
address major health and societal challenges.
Georgia State is vital to the regional economy, with a more than
$2.9 billion economic impact, and is also a vital part of Atlanta’s
vibrant arts and entertainment community, with highly regarded
programs in music, art, creative writing and film, the Rialto
Center for the Arts, and the Creative Media Industries Institute
that contributes to innovation and the workforce for interactive
media and media entrepreneurship.
Full Time Faculty
About the Department
Georgia State University holds the unique position as the only
institution that is both an R1 with an access mission and a PBI .
Perimeter College at the University encompasses an array of
academic pathways, such as various healthcare areas within the
Department of Health Professions. Students seeking career
opportunities may pursue intensive, specialized training in the
clinical service-focused field of dental hygiene. Four full-time
and eighteen part-time faculty with three support staff in the
dental hygiene program enrich student learning. The program
maintains a highly successful record in educating and preparing
students to become entry-level dental hygienists. In April 2023,
the program completed a successful accreditation site visit with
zero recommendations by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (
CODA ). In addition, the dental hygiene program will welcome, in
Spring 2024, a new 20-unit dental hygiene clinic incorporating
modern technologies enhancing patient care in the community.
The primary responsibilities of this position involve didactic,
laboratory, and clinical teaching responsibilities in the dental
hygiene program. Faculty plan and deliver student instruction
following approved syllabi, curriculum guidelines, and required
program standards. Faculty provide student support as well as work
effectively with colleagues.
Other responsibilities include service to the department, college,
Perimeter College requires and supports innovation and professional
growth, expecting the successful candidate to engage in
professional development activities that demonstrate career goals
that are consistent with the college’s mission.
A minimum of two years of full-time clinical dental hygiene
experience or equivalence.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene from a dental
hygiene program accredited by the Commission on Dental
A minimum of a Master’s
degree required in
the teaching discipline or a closely related field, completed by
the appointment date is required.
The desired candidate will have:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Prior teaching experience, preferably at the collegiate
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene from a
dental hygiene program accredited by the Commission on Dental
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations, etc
- Ability to teach Dental Hygiene courses at the collegiate
- Ability to teach effectively using a variety of methods, relate
to students and facilitate student learning.
- Effective communication skills needed.
- Excellent organizational and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional technology is
Georgia Dental Hygiene State License or Georgia Dental Hygiene
Teaching License and/or ability and qualifications to obtain within
4 months of hiring date.
CPR for Health Professionals certification is required.
A Criminal Background Check is required.
Positions may require non-standard hours (including day, evening,
online, hybrid, weekend and/or other campus locations).
Description of Job Duty
Tenure-track positions are academic year (August-May)
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
• Providing 27-32 semester hours of instruction per academic
• Providing student support and advising
• Maintaining office hours weekly
• Working effectively and professionally with colleagues
• Clinical, laboratory, and didactic teaching
• Attending faculty meetings as scheduled
• Participating in faculty calibration exercises
• Maintain current knowledge in the discipline and in assigned
• Complete required bloodborne pathogens, medical emergency,
teaching methodology, and DEIB trainings as requested
Expectations also include service to the department, college, and
university. Perimeter College requires and supports innovation and
professional growth, expecting the successful candidate to engage
in professional development activities which demonstrate career
goals that are consistent with the college’s mission.
Percentage Of Time
80% teaching, 10% service, 10% Scholarly Activity
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Review of Applications Begins
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
Qualified applicants must provide the following
application materials to be considered:
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
- Letter of intent/cover letter Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate-level degrees completed.
Official transcripts must be provided if an offer is accepted.
- Unofficial transcripts from Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in
- Candidates with foreign degrees must provide a foreign degree
transcript evaluation as verification of educational
- Three (3) professional letters of reference. ( Final
Candidate Only ).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * An Associate's or Bachelor's degree required in Dental
Hygiene from a dental hygiene program accredited by the Commission
on Dental Accreditation is required. Do you meet this requirement?
- * A minimum of a Master's degree required in the teaching
discipline or closely related field (completed by the anticipated
date of appointment) is required. Do/Will you meet one of this
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education/Vitae
- Computing Research Association
- Diverse Jobs
- Circa Works
- Letter of Intent/Cover Letter
- Unofficial Undergraduate Transcript(s)
- Unofficial Transcripts of All Graduate-Level Degrees Completed
or In Progress
- Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluation