Carnegie Mellon is enjoying its most productive fundraising years
in its history, raising more than $950M over the last three years.
University Advancement (UA) supports the entire CMU community in
building relationships with key constituencies and securing the
financial resources the university needs to continue its ascent. As
the division grows, we are seeking a Development Specialist. This
is an exciting opportunity if you thrive in an interesting and
challenging work environment. Reporting to the senior director,
Development you will partner with prospect managers to increase
their efficiency and effectiveness as front-line fundraisers. You
will also collaborate with multiple university partners to
accomplish strategic goals.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Partnering with prospect managers to increase their efficiency
and effectiveness as front-line fundraisers.
- Utilizing data, research, reports, and other resources and
tools to help prioritize and optimize prospect qualification,
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Assisting prospect managers with prospect strategy development
and moves management, and assisting in the drafting and updating of
written prospect strategies.
- Monitoring and ensuring the accuracy of prospect
management-related data and other information in University
Advancement’s database of record.
- Assisting the prospect manager in the drafting and finalization
of prospect briefings, profiles, and reports for university
leaders; internal presentations; prospect correspondence;
fundraising proposals and gift agreements; and other documents,
ensuring that the highest quality products are created within
required time parameters.
- Assisting with planning and coordination of special events and
campus visits by prospects, including contact with prospects when
- Managing and completing a variety of special projects requiring
skills in data analysis, writing/editing, and collaborative problem
- Working effectively with partners within University Advancement
and across the university to accomplish goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Passion, excellence and flexibility are vital qualities within
University Advancement. A commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion; collaboration; and cultural sensitivity are valued
competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member
who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of
internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are
looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the
mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
You should be able to travel domestically and be willing to work
outside of normal business hours as needed. Evening and weekend
work will occasionally be required.
- The ability to:
- work in a team environment and independently
- collaborate and communicate effectively with directors, gift
officers and other development stakeholders
- manage multiple inflexible deadlines
- work under pressure
- work with sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and
- prioritize work and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- One to three years of development experience.
- Demonstrated research, writing and editing skills.
- Proficiency with a variety of technology and computer
- Successful background check
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance