The Assistant Volleyball Coach
will have the
primary responsibility of assisting the head volleyball coach with
instructing players on the rules, regulations, equipment, and
techniques of the sport. A successful candidate will play an active
role in FMU's athletics program and collaborate with staff and
administration to ensure student-athletes are provided with
opportunities and services to help them succeed academically. All
coaching positions will provide support to athletics activities,
have daily contact with the public, and require the ability to
interact (internally and externally) in a professional, positive,
and tactful manner at all times.
- Assisting with the overall management of FMU’s Volleyball
programs, establishing and adhering to policies, procedures,
regulations, and guidelines in compliance with the policies,
procedures, regulations, and guidelines of all University, NAIA,
Conference, State, and Federal Laws.
- Represent Florida Memorial University in a positive manner with
the highest degree of ethics and integrity. Promote and support the
mission of Florida Memorial University.
- Organize and assist with directing all aspects of the
volleyball program: organizing practice sessions to enhance the
team’s performance as a highly visible sport.
- Coordinate with the Head coach on coaches’ meetings prior to
and during the season.
- Make sure safety and proper skills and techniques are being
- Assist the Head Coach with team evaluation and ensure that the
team is organized and within the organization's code of
- Help to mitigate low-level grievances and complaints between
coaches and parents.
- Manage recruiting strategies through scouting, attending
tournaments, and home visits, in accordance with the Sun Conference
and NAIA regulations.
- Work to raise funds through the Volleyball annual fund and
develop other fundraising activities, camps, and/or clinics to
support the Volleyball Program.
- Participate in institutional professional development and
training. Display behavior consistent with professional ethics and
the FMU faculty and staff handbook.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Provide administrative efforts, events and programming, game
operations, research, and presentation. This also includes but is
not limited to team communication and hospitality guidelines.
Representation at various South Florida business functions,
industry conventions, business seminars, and meetings as
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Some Beach Volleyball knowledge (preferred)
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Work involves planning and directing daily requests. Ability to
plan and promote special events.
- Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or a
negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Lifting is
required (i.e., set-up of scorers’ table, etc.), and some manual
labor is expected. Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual
elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke,
unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- CPR and AED certified.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job that are identified as essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor's degree and 2+ years of coaching experience.
Successful experience as a graduate assistant or intern in an
athletic program is acceptable with one (1) year of the required
experience. Travel is necessary.
- Experience in intercollegiate athletic program administration;
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to work well with students, faculty, staff, and
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and
understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and
operating procedures. Familiarity with the Jenzabar technology
suite for higher education is a plus. Flexibility to work outside
of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
Review of application materials will begin as soon as possible and
will continue until the position is filled.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity