ACE Academic Advisor
Description of Duties
The State University of New York (SUNY) College at Canton seeks to
hire an Academic Advisor for the implementation of CUNY’s (City
University of New York) ACE (Accelerate, Complete, Engage) program
on our campus. ACE is designed to increase timely graduation rates
by removing the financial, academic, and personal obstacles that
many students confront. Key ACE program features include a
consolidated block schedule, small class size, required full-time
study and comprehensive advisement and career development services.
Financial incentives include tuition waivers for financial aid
eligible students, yearly textbook assistance, and travel vouchers
for students. SUNY Canton’s pilot implementation of the ACE program
will focus on transfer students.
The ACE Advisor is a member of an integrated college team providing
individual academic and personal support to an assigned group of
students as they progress through the program.
- Delivers comprehensive advisement support students to an
assigned group of students through degree completion.
- Reviews student progress and tracks student use of academic
- Conducts regular outreach to faculty and other college staff as
needed to support student success.
- Maintains accurate tracking data and notes for each assigned
students, recommending appropriate referrals and opportunities
- Supports annual recruitment of new students into the
- Organizes periodic special events and programs for students,
faculty, and staff.
- May conduct or support delivery of student seminars on issues
of importance to students.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 4 years of academic
advisement experience, or a master’s degree in a relevant
discipline and a minimum of 2 years of academic advisement
- Strong understanding of the needs of college transfer
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of
- Demonstrated ability to work well with faculty and
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Strong organization, project management and facilitation
- Ability to enter, monitor and interpret student data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office, and
aptitude to learn new systems as needed.
Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will
be required to submit to a background check including, but not
limited to, employment verification, educational and other
credential verification, and criminal background check.
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications
Review begins immediately and will continue until the position is
SUNY Canton, a unit of the State University of New York, is an
affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. SUNY Canton is
building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and strongly
encourages applications from minority and women