Emporia State University is seeking high qualified candidates for the position of Director of the Intercultural Center. In collaboration with various University Departments, the Director will develop recruitment, and retention efforts for historically excluded student populations on campus.
The Director will interact with a variety of campus departments, the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Emporia community, and students of ESU to enhance student development, intercultural and social justice education, and global engagement.
The Director will interact with students through support, training, and development of advocacy, cultural competence and social justice initiatives which support historically excluded student populations. The Director will manage, sustain and evaluate student programs and initiatives. The Director will develop and implement a strategic vision for the Intercultural Center.
- Develop and manage educational programs that speak to the particular needs and experiences of students of color, low-income and first-generation college students, and LGBTQ+ students and other historically excluded student populations in conjunction with DSP student workers and identity based RSO student leaders.
- Establish and maintain an assessment program to allow for effective measurement of Intercultural Center initiatives. Assess and monitor program effectiveness and adjust trajectory of initiatives based on the data gathered. Utilize assessment to inform annual goals and objectives of the Intercultural Center.
- Support and develop advocacy initiatives to support historically excluded student populations.
- Develop new and support current retention initiatives for historically excluded populations.
- Exercise professional judgment and specialized knowledge by providing accountability, advice, consultation and guidance to individual students, student workers, student volunteers, and affiliated student organizations.
- Hire, mentor, supervise and evaluate undergraduate and graduate student employees. Pursue professional development and learning opportunities which support the functions of the office.
- Build strong connections within the Emporia community to support student retention and recruitment. Fostering a stronger sense of community and increased collaborations. Produce publications and marketing as a tool to bring greater awareness of the work of the office. Collaborate with the departments of EMSS to develop inclusive practices. Collaborate with academic departments to develop inclusive practices within academic affairs.
- Master’s Degree in Student Affairs, Social Justice, Ethnic and Gender Studies, Post Secondary Education, or other related field.
- At least 5 years experience
- Knowledge of budgeting principles, programming development and implementation, and student development.
- Communication skills that include leading dialogue across constituencies
- Salary is competitive and dependent on qualifications.
- Emporia State University offers a generous benefit package. Find out more about our health benefits, retirement options, paid time off, dependent and spouse tuition waiver program, and many other benefits at this link.
Upload a letter of application, vita, unofficial transcripts, and complete contact information for three references here.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
A background check and official transcripts are required prior to hire.
For more information
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.