Lecturer in Speech Communication – Log #25-039
The Department of Communication at Georgia State University (GSU), Atlanta campus, invites applicants for Lecturers of basic communication courses to begin Fall 2024. Lecturers at GSU are full time non-tenure track faculty with both teaching and service requirements who directly contribute to the mission of the university. Lecturers have the opportunity for promotion to Senior Lecturer and Principal Senior Lecturer based on excellence in teaching and service. Lecturers normally teach four courses per semester, and for these positions, the courses would include: Public Speaking, Human Communication, and Media, Culture & Society, among other lower-division courses. An upper-level course in area of specialization may occasionally be available. This is a 9-month position with opportunities to teach during the summer based on enrollment.
- PhD in Communication or closely allied field, at the time of appointment
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching basic communication courses
- Ability to effectively deliver instruction in online, hybrid, and face-to-face formats
- Advanced understanding of digital, oral, and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with instructional technology
- Experience with service in an academic environment
Georgia State University, an enterprising R-1 university, the largest in the state, is in downtown Atlanta, and is home to one of the most diverse student bodies in the country. It is a national leader in innovative instruction and academic success, and our new strategic plan can be found online (strategic.gsu.edu). GSU is an institutional member of the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity. Full-time employees enjoy benefits such as retirement savings plans with matching funds, health insurance options (a variety of medical, dental, and vision plans), life insurance, and other insurance options, as well as savings accounts (health; flexible; transportation), and an EAP. An offer of employment will be conditional upon background verification.
Please send the following materials to Dr. Rasha Ramzy, Search Committee Chair, at Communicationapp@gsu.edu
- Application cover letter
- Curriculum vitae (if doctorate not yet complete, please indicate when it is expected)
- In two pages or less, please outline how your professional and academic experiences have prepared you to support and apply Georgia State's mission and core values, which are described in our strategic plan (https://strategic.gsu.edu/).
- Student evaluations or other evidence of success in instruction
- Names and contact information for three references (letters will be requested for all finalists)
Review of applications will begin on January 10, 2024, and continue until the position is filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.