The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Network (https://www.czbiohub.org/) is a group of nonprofit research institutes that bring together scientists, engineers, and physicians with the goal of pursuing grand scientific challenges on 10- to 15-year time horizons. The CZ Biohub Network focuses on understanding underlying mechanisms of disease and developing new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies.
- We pursue large scientific challenges that cannot be pursued in conventional environments
- We enable individual investigators to pursue their riskiest and most innovative ideas
- The technologies developed at CZ Biohub San Francisco facilitate research by scientists and clinicians at our home institutions and beyond
Diversity of thought, ideas, and perspectives are at the heart of CZ Biohub Network and enable disruptive innovation and scholarly excellence. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all colleagues feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Network seeks to recruit a Senior Director - IT Operations who will assume a critical, newly created role. The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub is a one-of-a-kind independent research network of institutes that brings together leading universities along with the world-class engineering at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) into a collaborative technology and discovery ecosystem. The CZ Biohub Network currently includes the CZ Biohub SF, CZ Biohub Chicago and the Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute.
The Senior Director will report to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations and strategic projects of one or more of the Biohub institutes towards advancing the scientific mission of the Biohub Network. The Senior Director must be a trusted and experienced advisor to the CIO and serves as a leader in the IT organization across the Biohub Network, participating in strategic planning, outcomes planning and assessment and other operational management functions such as in the areas of infrastructure, web/application development, information security, service desk/user support and multimedia services. The Senior Director will implement best practices to ensure the progress of the Biohub Network priorities which are increasingly dependent on the effective and efficient integration of technology across all Biohubs.
The Senior Director will support the CIO on both Biohub Network and Chan Zuckerberg Initiative projects and priorities. They will be expected to provide leadership, supervision, mentoring and performance appraisals of full-time and part-time staff. They will coordinate projects with external constituents such as vendors and contractors including the development of Statements of Work/RFPs, reviewing vendor submissions, managing budgets and overall quality control. The Senior Director will be required to communicate with scientific staff from all Biohub Network member institutes, to keep abreast of their computing needs and priorities and to help ensure they follow established policies and procedures. With the Senior Director role focusing on the "run" aspect of IT, this enables the CIO to focus on the "grow" and "transform" aspects of IT, through working with scientists, building strong relationships with senior management and key stakeholders, driving innovation and differentiated IT strategy, and improving the value of IT.
What You'll Do
- Effectively understand and support the balance of a high level of information security with a commitment to open science
- Demonstrate a keen ability to quickly assess and synthesize technology needs and scientific needs and translate into executable solutions
- Build and inspire a highly skilled team for user support and overall IT operations
- Work with IT Operations to maintain integrated processes to review and manage the technology enterprise architecture across all the Biohub Network member institutes
- Understand the unique dynamics of our collaborative environment – supporting open science, with both internal and external partners and collaborators utilizing new and existing technology and tools
- Successfully integrate the various (and sometimes disparate) needs of various stakeholders to address critical priorities associated with technology
- Establish standards and change management principles and prepare the organization for rapidly evolving dynamics
What You'll Bring
- Fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible full-time information systems technology experience which should include seven (7) years of extensive experience managing IT operations and infrastructure preferably in a scientific research environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree (computer science, engineering, physical or life sciences)
- Advanced Degree (computer science, engineering, management, physical or life sciences)
- At least 3 years of recent experience in a research environment, preferably open science
- Hands-on expert with an ability to operate at a granular level when needed
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems, driving solutions to completion
- Demonstrated experience in resource management
- Strong team development and mentoring experience
- Extensive experience in overseeing end-user support and endpoint tools
- Strong grasp on technical concepts that are core to supporting a research environment
Nice to have -
- Knowledge of open-source systems
- Life sciences or medical research experience
- Knowledge of High-Performance Computing
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster vaccine dose, if eligible, by their start date. Those who are unable to get vaccinated or obtain a booster dose because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance must have an approved exception prior to their start date.
New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range during the hiring process.
What We Provide
- Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease
- An environment where nothing is considered impossible, where bold and creative thinking are the norm, and where a collaborative culture allows teams of people from multiple disciplines to accomplish more than any single person can achieve alone
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities across the CZ Biohub Network, including at CZ Biohub New York, CZ Biohub Chicago, CZ Biohub San Francisco, and the Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
The CZ Biohub Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. The CZ Biohub Network does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. The CZ Biohub Network will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the CZ Biohub Network.