Job Title: Senior Systems Administrator
Salary: $85,666.00 Annually
Department: Information Technology
Pay Grade: ADM7
Reports To: Associate Director, IT Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Opening Date: 10/23/2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
The Senior Systems Administrator (Sys Admin) is a hands-on,
senior-level Information Technology (IT) role. The position serves
as a technical expert in the IT Infrastructure Services team and is
responsible for technical design, planning, implementation and
maintenance of server and network systems. The Senior Sys Admin is
often involved in project activities requiring IT subject matter
expertise and in researching, selecting, and implementing new
technologies and services. The Senior Sys Admin receives general
direction from the Associate Director of IT Operations and is
expected to operate and deliver on projects with a high level of
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides high level oversight in the design of server and
network architectures to support the systems and services provided
by the IT Department.
- Proactively manages and monitors the College’s network and
server infrastructure, reviews performance and resource
utilization, and tunes systems to ensure maximum availability,
security and performance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of network and systems administration
work including installation and configuration of network, server
and storage hardware, Windows and Linux operating systems, and
application level services such as web and database servers.
- Administers and supports core infrastructure technologies such
as Microsoft Active Directory domains, virtualization hypervisors
and management tools, Cisco routing and switching, and various
- Proactively ensures the highest level of systems and
infrastructure availability by monitoring server and application
performance for potential issues, identifying possible solutions,
and working to implement fixes.
- Proactively ensures the highest level of systems and
infrastructure security by implementing information security
program components such as change management and vulnerability
management procedures, participating in risk assessment and
mitigation processes, and contributing ideas and expertise in
strengthening the College information security program.
- Uses automation tools and develops custom scripts to increase
system efficiency, automate repetitive tasks, simplify server
deployment, and lower human intervention on tasks.
- Prepares written documentation for department processes and
procedures including system builds and configuration, and
startup/shutdown procedures for all servers, appliances and
- Provides the most experienced tier of IT troubleshooting
capability to address fully-escalated requests from IT
- Participates in product selection and evaluation, and
recommends acquisition of tools or products to enhance
system/network performance, add features, or improve service to the
College user community.
- Acts as a liaison between the IT Department and external
vendors, consultants, and suppliers for project work and to resolve
problems with supported systems.
- Supervises, trains, and mentors students, or other part-time
employees that help in the maintenance and support of information
technology systems and networks.
- Mentors and cross-trains staff in the IT Infrastructure
Services department to ensure the continuity in managing all
applications and services supported by the department.
- Supports IT strategic initiatives by participating in project
work and setup and testing of new systems and services.
- Stays current with technological developments in system
administration technology and recommends ways for Middlesex College
to take advantage of new technology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and/or
- Two years of experience installing and configuring Windows
Server 2016+ or Linux to perform common roles such as File/Print
server, domain controller, web server, or database server;
- Two years of experience in a VMWare environment with installing
software, monitoring performance, developing more effective
techniques, and troubleshooting problems; and
- Active certification in Microsoft, VMware, and/or Cisco.
*An Associate degree is equivalent to 18 months of work experience,
whereas a Bachelor's degree is equivalent to four years, and a
Master's degree is equivalent to 10 years.
- Hands-on experience in the management in an environment
supporting 70+ servers. Strong understanding of Active
Directory/LDAP user and group administration; DNS, DHCP,
- A solid understanding of LAN/WAN networking, LAN Routing and
Switching design, configuration and troubleshooting, VLAN
management & segmentation, IP addressing, and load
- Solid knowledge in the administration of Microsoft 365 in an
- Hands-on experience in managing an enterprise-level backup
- Excellent troubleshooting skills; and
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
The work is sedentary work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds
of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently
or constantly. Additionally, the following physical abilities are
- Hearing 1: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking
levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed
information through oral communication, and to make the
discrimination in sound.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken
word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken
instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Talking 1: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the
spoken word including those activities in which they must convey
detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers
accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Visual Acuity 1: Have close visual acuity to perform an
activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures;
transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive
: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with
occasional evenings and weekends required.
: Pension Eligible
NJ First Act
Any Middlesex College employee hired after September 1, 2011 will
have to meet the New Jersey residency law requirement.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Middlesex College is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits
discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin,
ancestry, age, gender, marital status, familial status, religion,
affectional or sexual orientation, atypical hereditary cellular or
blood trait, genetic information, liability for service in the
armed forces of the United States, or disability.
Affirmative Action and Compliance Statement
Middlesex College is firmly committed to a policy of Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action. The College will implement this
policy to assure that the educational programs, activities,
services, benefits and employment opportunities offered by the
College are available to all persons regardless of sex, race,
creed, national origin, ancestry, nationality, color, marital
status, civil union or domestic partnership status, affectional or
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, handicap (and/or
disability), service in the armed forces, atypical hereditary
cellular or blood trait, genetic information, refusal to submit to
genetic tests, or refusal to make available results of genetic
tests, in accordance with State and Federal laws. All employees and
students are expected to accept these principles and to reflect
their spirit in everyday relationships with fellow employees and
students. Inquiries regarding compliance may be directed to the
Affirmative Action Officer, Middlesex College, Chambers Hall, 2600
Woodbridge Avenue, Edison, New Jersey 08818-3050.