Social Media Specialist
Arizona State University
Journalism & Mass Comm
Campus: Downtown Phoenix
The Social Media Specialist supports the communication functions of the marketing and communication team for the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at ASU. This position performs a variety of duties such as: ensures the school maintains its online reputation, researches/identifies trends in social media, and performs behind the scenes work, provides daily monitoring, posting, and updating for organization. Works closely with Marketing and Communications leadership. Works directly with team members to develop and expand external outreach via social platforms.
$44,640 - $50,000 per year, DOE
- Acts as the voice for the Cronkite School on social media channels.
- Helps develop and execute social media strategies to grow follower base and increase engagement.
- Find and create creative story opportunities.
- Maintain a social media calendar.
- Attends events to conduct real-time social media promotion.
- Develops engaging video and photographic content.
- Researches and develops brand specific and strategic content for targeted distribution over the Cronkite School social media channels.
- Show proficient in social media analytics and helps generate performance reports.
- Engage with marketing and communications representatives across ASU academic and business units to source content.
- Contribute to the development and execution of various web content and other communication channels around the Cronkite School.
- Contribute to the development and execution of social media advertising strategies.
- Help facilitate transcription and storage of digital assets as needed.
- Develop best practices and recommend rules of engagement and innovative initiatives for the use of various digital/social/mobile media.
- Research relevant social media content and keeps up to date with ongoing social media changes and innovations.
- Assist with other digital communications and projects as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, IT, Finance, Marketing or related field and two years of related experience OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective communication and writing skills.
- Experience creating assets for social media platforms.
- Experience writing for social media audiences for a brand.
- Experience engaging with social media audiences on behalf of a brand
- Demonstrated knowledge of Hootsuite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital marketing principles, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internet-based social networking formats, audiences, and usage standard.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of interactive media, tools, and technologies.
- Experience in writing and editing for interactive media.
- Experience in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Experience working effectively in an environment subject to stringent deadlines
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%). Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (15%). Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University is widely recognized as one of the nation's premier professional journalism programs. The school, which was named in Cronkite's honor in 1984, prepares the next generation of journalists in both the time-honored fundamentals embraced by Cronkite and the multimedia skills necessary to thrive as journalists in the digital age. Housed in a $71 million state-of-the-art media complex in downtown Phoenix, the school has been featured in The New York Times and The Times of London as a leader in 21st-century journalism education. It is the home of Arizona PBS, the Carnegie Knight News 21 initiative and the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism. The Cronkite School offers 12 professional programs, including a nightly television news broadcast, digital news bureaus in Washington and Phoenix, sports bureaus in Los Angeles and Phoenix, a strategic public relations agency, an entrepreneurial digital innovation lab, digital production bureau, business bureau, and newsgathering and civic journalism bureau.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: