Open Until Filled
Executive Director, HR Business Partner
Department this Position Reports to
Human Resources Operations
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not a Union Position
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Hanover, NH 03755
7 Lebanon Street
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
The Executive Director, HR Business Partner is responsible for
leading, coaching, and developing a team of HR Business Partners,
reporting both directly and as dotted line reports, in support of
Dartmouth’s overall Human Resources strategy and divisional
business strategies. This position is a leader of the Dartmouth HR
community working to develop and maintain the HR Business Partner
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors or equivalent combination of education and
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- More than 10 years in Human Resources Generalist or Business
Partner experience across multiple disciplines (e.g., workforce
planning; talent acquisition; career development; employee
relations) while interpreting and applying HR policies, procedures,
programs and processes.
- Possess a minimum of 4-5 years HR supervisory/management
- Highly developed and effective leadership and strategic
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong working
relationships with senior leaders and diverse academic
- Ability to handle confidential matters with sensitivity and
- Strong communication skills.
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries
- SPHR or SHRM -SP.
- Experience as a HRBP in a healthcare or academic
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Sara Lester, Chief Human Resources Officer
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, conduct review, and verification of
any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications,
with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction
will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment.
Background check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road
vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this
Special Instructions to Applicants
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
HR Business Partner Management
Percentage Of Time
- Creates and maintains a network of HR Business Partners who
contribute to the development of divisional workforce strategies.
Supports and influences key divisional operational and strategic
- Oversees the team of HR Business Partners driving the
translation of the divisional business plans into talent and
organizational plans that build organizational capability and
- Is a trusted and credible partner who anticipates needs and
proactively recommends solutions.
- Provides input to HR Centers of Excellence (COEs) regarding
specific functional strategies, programs, and practices to ensure
the business is receiving optimal service and value-added programs
aligned with divisional business strategy.
- Keeps the CHRO of Human Resources aware of employee relations
issues and seeks guidance on complex matters. Reviews potential
legal issues with the CHRO and consults with Legal counsel, when
warranted. Prepares requested documentation and participates in
matters, as requested by counsel.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work
activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following
employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action, and
performance reviews. Direct Reports: 4-6 Indirect Reports:
Percentage Of Time
- Collaborate with the members of HR and divisional senior
management to develop and implement short- and long-term plans for
the operational infrastructure of systems, processes and policies
that support operational and fiscal effectiveness and
- Leverage information technology to support core business
- Use outcome-based metrics to identify trends and influence the
- Mentor and develop team by managing work allocation, promoting
access to training and resources, effective problem resolution,
meaningful performance evaluation, and building an effective team
- Participate in the development of efforts that drive
institution-wide programs and initiatives across all HR disciplines
(e.g., salary review, performance management, workforce planning,
cultural and organizational change).
- Exercise accountability for clear and thoughtful communications
to ensure an environment of transparency, clarity of mission and
support while also demonstrating high standards of excellence and
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter