Florida Gulf Coast University seeks an innovative,
student-centered, and collaborative leader to serve as the Dean of
the Honors College at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).
Reporting to the Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic
Affairs, the Dean is the chief academic and executive officer of
the College and serves as a member of the University’s academic
The Honors College is a community of dedicated and diverse
students, faculty and staff committed to the pursuit of excellence
through scholarly advancement, community engagement, leadership
development and cultural enrichment. Honors College students engage
in personal and professional transformation through intentional and
impactful experiences. The Honors College serves approximately
1,200 students from every academic degree program at FGCU.
FGCU serves a five-county region in Southwest Florida which is
among the fastest growing areas of the country. Known for its
natural beauty, world-class beaches and cultural activities,
industries such as finance and real estate, tourism, outdoor
recreation, health care, logistics and agriculture also dominate a
growing economy that attracts new residents from across the
country. FGCU serves an area that will experience significant
growth over the next several decades.
FGCU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an
Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity and Access
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age,
disability, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status,
genetic predisposition, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender
expression, veteran status, and any other protected class(es), as
required by applicable state and federal law, as well as University
regulations and policies.
The successful candidate will have experience in the
Additional Job Description
- Designing, justifying, and implementing a visionary strategic
plan for the College that aligns with the university’s strategic
- Making data-driven decisions.
- Applying for external funding, especially related to student
programming within an honors program or college.
- Working with a university foundation to procure external
funding through donor support.
- Managing budgets and endowments.
- Creating inclusive honors pedagogy and honors programming
through creative and interdisciplinary courses with innovative
- Fostering effective and inclusive collaborations with other
colleges and schools to help students navigate requirements for
honors within a major.
- Creating a vibrant and supportive community for honors students
by working with housing, the Offices of Student Life and Academic
Success, student government, and other stakeholders on campus.
- Fostering student recruitment from International Baccalaureate,
Cambridge, and Dual Enrollment programs.
- Supporting community and global engagement through sustained
partnerships and programming.
- Promoting honors student success with competitive
- Collaborating with a center for teaching, learning and faculty
development to provide professional development to honors
Special Instructions to Applicants
- An earned doctorate or a terminal degree from a regionally
accredited institution in the disciplines broadly represented in
the Honors College.
- A record of teaching, scholarly, and service contributions that
merits appointment at the rank of professor in an appropriate
academic discipline within the university.
- A record of progressively increasing experience in leadership
roles in higher education.
Appointment will be made at an out-of-unit faculty rank
commensurate with the candidate’s experience on a 12-month
out-of-unit multi-year appointment basis beginning as early as in
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and
retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send
examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so.
Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks,
slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE
RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to
submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become
the property of FGCU. Under Florida’s Public Records law,
applications will be available for public review upon
Required Application Materials
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
The position is open until filled, but best consideration will
be given to candidates that apply by December 1, 2023.
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Administrative Philosophy
- Cover Letter (Please address your experience in relation to
posted job details)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.