Position: Metadata Librarian for Serials and Electronic Resources
Start Date: Immediately upon the completion of the candidate search process.
The Samford University Library invites individuals interested in serving in a Christian university environment to apply for the position of Metadata Librarian for Serials and Electronic Resources.
Samford University (www.samford.edu ) is a leading nationally ranked Christian University. Founded in 1841, Samford is the 87th oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. It is the largest privately supported and fully accredited institution for higher learning in Alabama. Located in the Birmingham, Alabama, suburb of Homewood, with 425 full-time faculty and more than 5,700 students representing 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and 22 countries. The University is dedicated to the promotion of rigorous academic inquiry in a Christian setting. The University seeks and prefers employee applicants of the Christian faith and offers competitive salaries with a generous benefits package. Samford University embraces diversity in their faculty, students, and staff and encourages applications from those who would add to the diversity of our academic community.
The librarian in this position reports to the chair of the Cataloging Department, which is composed of three librarians and two staff members. The successful candidate will be an energetic and innovative individual responsible for establishing and maintaining comprehensive intellectual control of and access to electronic resources as well as print serials at Samford University Library. Specific duties are listed below.
- Provides and maintains bibliographic and holdings metadata for library's electronic resources and print serials across multiple platforms including the integrated library system, discovery tool, knowledgebase, link resolver, and OCLC Identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves access and content related issues for electronic resources Provides collection and usage statistics for electronic resources Coordinates with the Associate Dean (Chair of Collection Management) in all issues concerning the management of electronic resources and serials Assists the library’s Reference and Research Services department with library and information literacy instruction and participates in the rotation of reference desk staffing for night and weekend coverage Is expected to contribute to implementing the mission of Samford University Library and to stay abreast of emerging trends and best practices related to electronic resources and serials Performs other duties as assigned
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science One year of professional or high-level paraprofessional experience in technical services at an academic library Experience with cataloging print serials and electronic resources Knowledge of MARC bibliographic and authority formats; familiarity and ease with Microsoft Excel; familiarity with a bibliographic utility, preferably OCLC
- Familiarity with electronic resources tools, such as knowledgebases, link resolvers, and discovery services
- Experience with both an integrated library system and an electronic resource management system (The Samford University Library currently uses III’s Sierra and EBSCO’s Full Text Finder)
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot electronic resource access problems
- Ability to perform work with accuracy and perseverance; ability to work cooperatively and independently, with initiative and good judgment Excellent interpersonal skills including oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Three years of professional or high-level paraprofessional experience in technical services at an academic library Knowledge of RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and Library of Congress Classification
- Familiarity with EBSCOadmin, EBSCONET, and EBSCO Experience Manager (EEM), OCLC Connexion, OCLC Local Holdings Maintenance, and COUNTER R5.
- Familiarity with the MarcEdit software
- Ability to implement and adapt to evolving technology
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex workflows and projects
Rank and Salary
Twelve‐month, non‐tenure track, faculty appointment; salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits/vacation package.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until November 30, 2023.
The successful candidate must pass a background check and applicants must be authorized to work in the United Sates, as Samford will not sponsor any employment visas for this position. Application materials will include a letter of interest, current resume, Application for Faculty Position (link below), Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement (link below), and professional references.
Please submit all materials via e-mail in PDF format to:
Subject: Metadata Librarian
For questions, please email or call Jaroslaw Szurek at:
email@example.com; tel. (205) 726-4136
“Application for Faculty Position” can be found at: https://www.samford.edu/departments/files/Human_Resources/application-for-faculty-employment.pdf
“Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement” can be found at: https://www.samford.edu/departments/files/academic-affairs/Faculty-Applicant-Christian-Mission-Statement.docx
Except as specifically exempted by federal law requirements, Samford University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability or age in the administration or application of its educational programs and policies, admissions policies, employment policies, scholarship and loan programs. Consistent with its Christian mission and organizations, Samford is exempt from the religious provisions of Title VII pursuant to 42 U.S.C. Sections 2000e-1(a) and 2000e-2(e).