The Director of Academic Advising and Retention is responsible for managing the Klamath Falls, Portland Metro and Online academic advising teams and retention staff, the Peer Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction Program. The Director will also oversee the summer student success coordinator in collaboration with Student Affairs. This exciting opportunity includes continual assessment of processes and programs and development of new initiatives to improve student success related to advising and retention.
This position is dedicated to cultivating an environment that places students at the forefront. The Director works collaboratively with academic units, the Registrar, and across Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) to ensure advising is responsive to student needs and aligned with other SEM programs. Working collaboratively and with an innovative mindset, the Director is responsible for overseeing and developing retention initiatives within the office that are designed to positively impact student success which is measured by factors including first to second-year retention rates and graduation rates. In summary, this position embodies the leadership, creativity, and comprehensive approach needed to foster a thriving academic environment for all students.
The Director will oversee the hiring, evaluation and training of full-time staff. The Director will work with Academic Affairs to provide training for faculty advisors. The Director will work closely with other offices on campus to improve student utilization of services and to minimize academic barriers to student success.
The Office of Advising & Retention is committed to the success of all Oregon Tech students. This office oversees academic advising for first year students and includes embedded professional advisors within the two colleges. Data and predictive analytics are used to guide the department and include creation of new student success programs and initiatives. Working as a team with academics and student services, academic advising and retention initiatives are designed to help students succeed at Oregon Tech.
- Master’s Degree
- Two or more years of progressive experience working with college or community college student advising, student success and retention initiatives, and/or related areas
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations and advocate
- Work collaboratively to strategize campus-wide initiatives
- Experience leading and mentoring multiple staff members
- Experience advising college students in a broad range of programs
- Experience advising students using different face-to-face, online & hybrid interactions
- Five (5) or more years of experience working with college or community college student advising, student success, retention initiatives and/or, related areas
- Experience managing a budget, overseeing grant activity & analyzing data to create strategic initiatives
- Three (3) or more years of experience leading and mentoring multiple staff members
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Initial review of applications will begin on November 6, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the initial review date until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. Therefore, at the discretion of the University, materials received after the initial review date may not receive full consideration.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.oit.edu/postings/6100
Then, upload the following accompanying documents to your application:
- Resume Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation Professional References List Other Document
Oregon Tech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring, or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion or creed, sex or gender, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis in law.
Oregon Tech is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Office of Human Resources.
To peruse other employment opportunities at Oregon's premiere polytechnic university, visit the Oregon Tech Job Board: https://jobs.oit.edu
Oregon Tech proudly offers a competitive benefits package to eligible employees; to learn more about the comprehensive offering of benefits visit: https://www.oit.edu/human-resources/benefits