The Student Events Coordinator's
responsibility will be to assist in the supervision, coordination,
and coverage of the JC Sams Student Activity Center and its student
events for afternoons, evenings, and weekends to enhance student
engagement and support student success and retention.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
- Ensuring daily contact with students and the public, and the
ability to interact internally and externally in a professional,
positive, inclusive, friendly, helpful, and tactful manner at all
- Assist in the development of learning outcomes and assessment
of those outcomes for student event participants related to student
- Assist with event program development for the Leadership,
Intercultural Initiatives and Student Engagement Department, and
- Supervise student workers who are assigned to work on
- Assist with oversight, program development, and support for the
Lions Entertainment Board student leaders.
- Attend Division of Student Affairs meetings, programs, and
professional opportunities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Coordinate logistics and details related to events to ensure
that students are easily able to engage in and participate fully
and inclusively in events. Serve on divisional and university
committees as assigned by the AVP of Student Affairs.
- Provide program design and support for intercultural
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects
simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Understand leadership development and concepts associated with
student development learning outcomes for students involved in
events and programs that support student success, student
persistence, and retention to graduation.
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information,
protect the assets of the institution, act ethically and with
integrity, and adhere to FMU’s Code of Conduct and policies and
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully
with diverse constituents.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job that are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a bachelor's degree and 2 years of
experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities
specified. Higher education experience is preferred. Work with
young adults is required.
- A master's degree in Student Personnel/Higher Education/Student
Affairs or a related field is a plus.
- Must be able to work afternoons, weekends and evenings to be
considered for this position.
- Applicants must be dedicated, motivated, and self-directed
individuals with a strong work ethic, strong decision-making and
communication skills, friendly and positive disposition, and
outstanding leadership skills.
- Experience in effectively communicating with diverse
communities, and in establishing and maintaining cooperative
- Familiarity with student development theory and practice is a
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and
time management skills.
- Effectiveness at collaborating with colleagues across the
university is essential .
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well
as knowledge and understanding of higher education/student affairs
workflow, and operating procedures, is a plus .
- Familiarity with the Jenzabar technology suite for higher
education is desirable .
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings to be considered for
this position is outside of normal business hours and is focused on
full-time nights and weekends .
- Pre-employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. In
addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin as soon as possible and will
continue until the position is filled. No phone calls,
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity