The Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation at Arizona State University has an exciting opportunity for a collaborating statistician at the Assistant Research Professor level. This full-time fiscal-year appointment, which complements our interdisciplinary team of applied statisticians, is dedicated to partnerships with faculty in programmatic research focusing on healthcare, well-being, and health behaviors. The position may include some classroom teaching in statistics and/or research methods. The position affords opportunities for professional development and advancement, with guidance to be provided by appointee’s direct supervisor and senior members of the Edson College Statistics and Methodology Core. Salary is commensurate with experience. This multi-year appointment can begin as soon as a suitable candidate is identified and is subject to review and renewal every 12 months.
Edson College is part of a vibrant research, education, and practice community at ASU, named this year by U.S. News and World Report for the ninth year in a row as #1 in Innovation among all universities in the U.S. Edson faculty currently have numerous active grants funded by NIH and other national funding agencies. Our faculty collaborate with a wide-ranging group of community and healthcare organizations, including Mayo Clinic, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Banner Health, Dignity Health, HonorHealth, and the Veterans Administration Medical Center on research and practice initiatives to improve the economic, social, and cultural health and vitality of shared local, state, national, and global communities. More information about ASU’s Charter and Design Aspirations is available at the following link:
- Serve as a statistician on funded and unfunded health-related research projects Prepare data analysis plans and conduct power analyses for applications for internal research funding Serve as manager of the Edson College Data Lab, providing consultation on and assistance with data collection and management processes Organize and deliver occasional workshops on software, statistics, and research methods Compile and organize links to online statistical and research methods resources for trainees and faculty researchers
- PhD in biostatistics, statistics, psychology, sociology, public health, or related quantitative research fields Excellent written and verbal communication skills Experience with data management in applications such as Excel, SPSS, SAS, R, Stata, and relational database (e.g., SQL) tools Experience with statistical analysis in applications such as SPSS, SAS, R, and Stata using syntax/command files, macros in SPSS, SAS, and/or Stata and/or custom functions in R Knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental research designs, expertise in statistical data analysis, including exploratory data analysis, basic and advanced inferential statistics, model testing, and power analysis Ability to manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines Ability to work with faculty researchers and trainees with varying levels of expertise in, and experience with, quantitative research methods and data analysis
- Demonstrated mentoring and teaching ability in the areas of statistical methods and use research-related tools Experience with web-based data collection and management platforms (e.g., REDCap, Qualtrics) Experience with mobile app-based data collection approaches and tools Experience with writing and submitting applications for research funding Knowledge of survey research methods, including questionnaire construction and sampling design principles Working knowledge of factor analytic methods, survival analysis, structural equation modeling, multilevel (random effects) modeling, and analysis of data from complex samples Experience with management and analysis of big data Experience with machine learning and related approaches (e.g., regularized regression, random forests, support vector machines) Experience with accessing and analyzing data from public use data sets and web-based survey systems
Application Deadline and Procedure:
Review of applications begins 11/29/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled. Early applications are encouraged. A criminal and employment history background check will be performed prior to the employment offer.
Please apply by submitting:
1. Letter of interest
2. Curriculum vitae/professional resume
3. Names, postal addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references
4. Application material will be accepted through the following link: http://apply.interfolio.com/134908
Please direct inquires to Dr. Michael Todd at email@example.com.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
(See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.