Position Title: Application Analyst, Strategic Analysis,
Research and Reporting
Department: Strategic Analysis Rsrch, & Rprtng
Advertised Pay: Upper $60,000's
Campus Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will review all eligible applications
submitted by October 31, 2023
Position Summary: The Application Analyst for Strategic
Analysis, Research and Reporting (SARR), provides technical support
for Washburn reporting. The Analyst collaborates with the SARR team
in the management of federal, state, and institutional data, while
ensuring current policy, reporting and regulatory changes are
observed. This position works with SARR and ITS staff, and other
stakeholders at Washburn to develop and implement strategies that
allow for efficient and effective technical systems to support SARR
operations. The position contributes to a collaborative work
environment and seeks out innovative approaches for
• Serve as a resource for Washburn’s reporting environment. Create
data blocks, ad-hoc and permanent reports, OLAPs, interactive
charts and schedule off-hours reports to provide access to data and
reporting for use in internal and external reporting.
• Develop specifications for queries/reports and write
corresponding SQL scripts to generate queries/reports/extracts.
Check output for reasonableness and collaborate with SARR staff to
ensure data quality and integrity.
• Document query/report criteria and reflect report criteria with
reports through meaningful titles and column headings or other
annotations where necessary.
• Develop a code repository with SARR staff and in collaboration
with other Application Analysts to standardize data definitions and
minimize duplication of code.
• Work with appropriate departments to identify and provide data to
support other software/data projects.
• Work collaboratively with SARR, ITS and approved third-party
consultants to ensure collaboratively determined criteria and
processes are used for current data and longitudinal data
• Assist SARR staff in the usage of reporting tools.
• Design, implement, and test database objects such as customized
views, functions, and external tables from design specs to
completion using best practices in programming and data modeling,
e.g., efficient code, and sound architecture, for use in internal
and external reporting and policy making.
• Analyze, develop, and design database models for the data
warehouse to store longitudinal data.
• Work with staff from Information Technology Services (ITS) in the
analysis, design, development, testing, and implementation of
database systems, e.g., data warehouse, Banner, to support
reporting and strategic analytics.
• Determine specifications and create processes to extract,
transform and load (ETL) data into the data warehouse from multiple
databases and other data sources including Excel spreadsheets. Work
with SARR analysts to verify data accuracy and availability for use
in planning and external and internal reporting activities.
• Create and maintain technical and architectural documentation of
procedures and structures to provide on-going support for
• Create advanced SQL queries for extracting data from the database
systems for use in reporting and analysis.
• Work with the ITS staff and the functional units to ensure the
integrity and security of institutional data.
• Work collegially with Enrollment Management, the Center for
Student Success and Retention, the various Colleges and Schools of
the University, ITS and other support services to ensure effective
• Participates in SARR staff meetings and retreats, and data
providers and data consumer meetings as appropriate.
• As required, attend meetings and serve on committees to
participate in university-wide reporting and strategic
• Collaborate with other Application Analysts to problem-solve and
resolve trouble tickets, data requests, and document issues and
known solutions using ticket-tracking software.
• Troubleshoot issues pertaining to the reporting environment and
• Provide backup for other Application Analysts
• Work cooperatively with other University staff to build and
nurture working relationships.
• Consistently provide exceptional customer service.
• Communicate effectively with supervisor regarding daily on and
off-campus work schedules.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems or a related
field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and
related work experience equivalent to a degree.
• One year of experience creating SQL database queries using TOAD,
Access, SQL Developer, or similar query tool.
• Demonstrated experience in or knowledge of institutional
• Proven effective organization, project management and
• Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal, communication, problem
solving and analysis skills.
• Proven experience in or knowledge of PL/SQL coding
• Demonstrated experience in or knowledge of operational data
stores and/or data warehouses.
• Proven experience in or knowledge of Integrated database
• Ability to travel to off-site training and conferences as
• Proven experience in or knowledge of Student Information Systems
(SIS) and enterprise reporting system software in higher
• Demonstrated experience in or knowledge of Higher Education
Full time Exempt Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
Background Check Required