Pay Rate: $19/hr Position Purpose
Assists the Catering Manager and/or Supervisor and dining hall
staff to set up, serve and break down special and catered events on
campus ranging in size from 10 to 700+.
Must embody the mission of the Dining Services Department: “A Team
of Professionals dedicated to providing quality food service with a
This position is considered “Essential Personnel”
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that
would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if
instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or
his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s
Staff (Leadership Team).
Degree of Independent Action Performed
- Assist in loading and unloading all supplies and provisions
necessary for catered events, and return them to proper storage
areas when event is over.
- Set up facilities for events according to event sheets and
- Set up and break down tables and chairs as necessary.
- Use skills to create flair and enhance presentation of foods
- Maintain clean tables and banquet areas.
- Be familiar with all food offerings (as communicated by
Supervisor), paying close attention to food hazards and appropriate
substitutions to meet special customer needs.
- Serve food, alcohol and beverages to guests.
- Create a warm, congenial atmosphere that makes guests feel
special and welcome.
- Observe all safety and sanitation policies/procedures regarding
proper handling of food and equipment.
- Work cooperatively with others and take direction from
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Catering Manager, Dining
Service Unit Manager and Event Coordinator, but will is expected to
work without direct supervision and exercises considerable
independent judgment in decisions impacting catering events.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, faculty, administration and staff.
External contacts could include prospective students, parents,
alumni, outside organizations, visitors and local community
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- ServSafe certification is required. Must be able to obtain
certificate within 60 days (attend required class and pass
Skills & Knowledge
- Must be at least 18 years of age to work events where alcohol
- Catering experience preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of food presentation and the use of appropriate
equipment and tools preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with
- Ability to correctly identify food products.
- Must possess knowledge and commit to health and safety
procedures with food handling and preparation.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and
experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and
cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Practices excellent personal hygiene habits; follows and
adheres to uniform standards daily.
- Regular and consistent attendance with the ability to work a
flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment, under short
time constraints, and within established deadlines.
- Must possess excellent guest service and hospitality skills and
projects a positive image while interacting with students, faculty,
staff and guests.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and
will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers
rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using a
- Ability and dexterity to grasp and grip and safely operate
commercial kitchen equipment.
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word.
- Ability to see with normal parameters.
- Ability to use a visual display terminal with continuous wrist
movement on a keyboard.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs without
- Ability to work under a range of temperature conditions such as
withstanding exposure to extreme heat in the kitchen or extreme
cold from freezers.
COVID Vaccine Policy:
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and
adhere to the appearance guidelines.
Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members to be fully
vaccinated* against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19
vaccine boosters. *With the exception of a PEA-approved medical
or religious exemption.