The Foundation Development Officer, Athletics, develops strong relationships with individual donors, alumni, and friends of the University for the purpose of securing leadership gifts. The Emporia State University Foundation supports the University in its private fundraising efforts.
ESU Athletics is constructing a master plan to upgrade and build new championship-level facilities. This new position will have the exciting opportunity to help this vision become a reality through the power of philanthropy.
This position may be filled at the assistant, associate, or director level based on prior experience. This position earns 22 paid vacation days annually, and employees are encouraged to take time away to recharge. The ESU Foundation offers a flexible work environment.
The Development Officer, Athletics, primary responsibility is the development and management of a comprehensive, strategic, integrated effort to build the base of individual athletic donors and increase the level of support through annual and major giving at the University. In addition,
- Manage the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of donors to be measured on personal visits, proposals presented, gifts closed, and dollars raised.
- Develop and execute a strategic moves management plan to engage with prospects through email, phone and personal visitations all focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of athletic support.
- Engage the director of athletics, coaches and student athletes with donors and prospects to assist with moves management.
- Maintain a knowledge of athletic department goals and updates to be able to tell the story of Hornet Athletics to inspire gifts at a higher level.
- Experience in fundraising and relationship building with individuals, preferably in a university setting.
- Initiative and self-starting capacity. Excellent fundraising, negotiating, organizational and analytical skills, with an attention to detail.
- Experience in building relationships internally and externally with donors and strategic partners
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail and the ability to articulate a compelling case for philanthropic support programs.
- Embody the values of the ESU Foundation: visionary, inspirational, adaptive, trustworthy, grateful, and relational
- Innovation and the ability to explore and implement new ideas and adaptability to new processes and technologies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and ability to navigate through computer database systems and software
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategy and tactics gained through relevant work or volunteer experience.
- Minimum of three years work experience.
- Experience in university foundation or collegiate athletics setting
- Salary is competitive and dependent on qualifications.
- Emporia State University offers a generous benefit package. Find out more about our health benefits, retirement options, paid time off, dependent and spouse tuition waiver program, and many other benefits at this link.
Upload a letter of application, vita, unofficial transcripts, and complete contact information for three references here.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
A background check and official transcripts are required prior to hire.
For more information
ABOUT THE ESU FOUNDATION
Emporia State University Foundation was founded in 1952 as a 501(c)(3) corporation, and exists solely to support Emporia State University. The Foundation raises, receives, manages, invests, distributes, and stewards private resources in support of the University’s mission. Our team has fun, loves what we do, and makes an impact at ESU! We are all about relationships, are experimental, and offer professional development and training.
ABOUT THE TOGETHER, FORWARD CAMPAIGN
We are in the final stages of the Together, Forward comprehensive fundraising campaign, which had a $75 million goal. This position will have the chance to help close out the most successful campaign in school history! To learn more about Together, Forward, visit emporia.edu/together forward.
ABOUT ESU ATHLETICS
The Emporia State Hornets and Lady Hornets represent 15 teams in 11 sports. Emporia State participates in NCAA Division II and has been a member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association since 1991. ESU Athletics aspires to be a Top 25 program. Last year five of 15 programs placed nationally in NCAA post season play and ESU moved up nearly 70 places in the Learfield Sports Director’s Cup Standings. As part of the Together, Forward Campaign, ESU Athletics is aspiring to build and renovate championship-level facilities. ESU will host the NCAA Division II National Track and Field Championships in 2024 and 2026.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY OF EMPORIA, KANSAS
Located at the doorstep of the beautiful Flint Hills between Kansas City and Wichita on Interstate 35, Emporia is a family-oriented and vibrant community of 25,000 residents. With the University as its anchor offering cultural and educational pursuits, the city provides a wide range of recreational, artistic, and civic options.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.