POSITION: Director of Residence Life
REPORTS TO: Dean of Students
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt, Onsite
SALARY RANGE: $85,000-$110,000
SUMMARY: Founded in 1901, Brooklyn Law School is a
distinguished, independent law school located in Downtown Brooklyn,
New York. The Law School is searching for a Director of Residence
Life to provide various services to the residents of Feil Hall.
Brooklyn Law School is seeking a highly energetic individual to
serve as our Director of Residence Life. Reporting to the Dean of
Students, the Director of Residence Life will handle many
student-related matters and oversee Brooklyn Law School’s on-campus
housing program. The Law School’s size, vibrant employee and
student population, and commitment to providing the best legal
education, will offer a candidate the opportunity to develop and
diversify practical skills and participate firsthand in the
business of operating a successful educational institution.
- The Director of Residence Life oversees the overall management
of our 21-story residence hall building in which includes, but is
not limited to, weekly walk-throughs, room change processing,
check-ins/check-outs, key system management and maintaining
- Accept and process new housing applications, manage existing
resident agreements and provide information or clarification on
- Oversee housing lottery and summer sublet process. Communicate
with residents about maintenance emergencies, service outages and
other building issues.
- Handle daily communication and meetings with students on a wide
range of areas including policies, personal matters,
apartment-related issues and several other matters.
- Oversee faculty, visitor and other guest housing. Work with
maintenance staff to make sure the apartments are ready and set up
properly for each guest.
- Work closely with VP of Operations, Campus Safety Director,
security officers to maintain a clean and safe environment in our
Residence Hall and in collaboration with the Campus Safety
Director, respond promptly during times of crisis, manage risk, and
provide emergency support in a 24/7 environment.
- Work closely with the Dean of Students on a broad range of
student issues ensuring a coherent and collaborative approach to
Student Affairs services around counseling, support, advising and
- Develop new initiatives to build a greater sense of community
within the residential community.
- Provide tactful, sensitive, and wise counsel and advice to
students on a wide array of personal issues
- Maintain a large volume of complex contact points with a range
of students, both individually and in groups, necessitating
occasional availability outside of school hours.
- Provide support to students during the final exam periods, Bar
Exam preparation, and other stressful times during law school.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop new initiatives
to help support students
- Work closely with Dean of Students and Vice Dean on student
conduct or academic integrity concerns
- Advise students about various policies and procedures from the
Student Handbook, including but not limited to, our attendance
- Act as a liaison between students, faculty and other offices to
address a variety of administrative and personal matters.
- Work closely with the Director of Student Life to organize
programs for our students.
- Foster an inclusive community and promote equity for all
- Must be responsive and available evenings and weekends to
assist with emergency management and response
- Be available to respond to concerns over email or the phone
after business hours
- Must work occasional evenings and weekends
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters degree is strongly
preferred, with concentration in counseling, higher education, or a
- Three or more years’ experience is required in the area of
Student Affairs and/ or Residence Life is required
- Must be an organized and confident self-starter with strong
- Must have good problem-solving skills
- Must love working with students.
Please include a cover letter with your resume. Upload all
documents as one single file.
Brooklyn law school has an excellent benefits package
- Sick, Personal, Vacation, and Summer Friday paid time off
- A generous retirement plan
- Scholarship for your dependent’s Pre-K - Undergraduate
Brooklyn Law School is an equal opportunity employer. It is
the policy of Brooklyn Law School not to discriminate against any
employee or applicant for employment because of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, genetic information,
disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status
under federal, state, or local law. Brooklyn Law School values a
diverse and vibrant community and affirmatively encourages
applications from candidates of all backgrounds and life