Financial Aid Assistant
Commensurate with credentials and experience
Description of Duties
Are you considering starting or continuing a career in higher
education? Do you enjoy helping others? Come join our SUNY Canton
Financial Aid Team as Financial Aid Assistant!
This is a 12- month position reporting to the Director of Financial
Aid. As a member of the Financial Aid team, this selected candidate
will work within the One Hop Shop to deliver a full range of
counseling and financial aid services to students, families, staff,
and the community.
- Serves as the primary contact for students and families
providing comprehensive guidance regarding various questions and
concerns in the areas of financial aid, student accounts and
student records via phone, e-mail and in-person.
- Counsel and assist students and parents in completion of
financial aid applications for federal, state, and institutional
- Provide financial aid counseling to student and parents
regarding eligibility requirements for various aid programs.
- Represent the office at various on and off-campus recruiting
functions, financial aid information sessions, and internal
committee meetings as assigned.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable policies, procedures,
regulations, rules, statutes, and laws.
- Advise and assist students in the add/drop process and the
effects it can have on financial aid, academic standing, and their
- Respond to concerns regarding student account billing, academic
credit loads and impact to tuition and refund/credit balances.
- Collaborate with different areas to integrate service to
provide optimum and seamless services to students.
- Associate degree plus 1 year of experience in customer service
within an office setting, or equivalent combination of education
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be a problem
- Demonstrated experience delivering effective communications via
telephone, email, virtually or in person.
- Eligibility to access federal computerized systems (Applicants
must be in good standing on federal student loans to be
- Experience in a college financial aid office or similar higher
- Knowledge of and experience working with federal and/or state
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, NSLDS, COD, and/or HESC
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience working with and serving diverse populations.
Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will
be required to submit to a background check including, but not
limited to, employment verification, educational and other
credential verification, and criminal background check.
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications
Review begins immediately and will continue until the position is
SUNY Canton, a unit of the State University of New York, is an
affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. SUNY Canton is
building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and strongly
encourages applications from minority and women