Emporia State University’s Theatre Program invites applications for a 12-month staff position as Costume Shop Manager to begin in July 2024.
The Costume Shop Manager is responsible for the overall management and operation of the costume shop within the Theater Program. This position requires an individual who is highly skilled in costume design and construction, has excellent organizational and management skills, and can collaborate with faculty, staff, and students in the creation and execution of theatrical productions. The Costume Shop Manager oversees the daily operations of the costume shop, manages the costume budget, and supervises student workers.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the costume shop, including overseeing the construction, alteration, and maintenance of costumes for theatrical productions.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and students in the design and execution of costumes for all Theater Program productions, including plays, musicals, and dance performances.
- Manage the costume budget, including purchasing materials, supplies, and equipment as needed.
- Supervise and train student workers in costume construction techniques, safety procedures, and costume shop operations.
- Overseeing Student production crews, practicum students, design students, student shop hires.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment, ensuring compliance with all safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintains costume storage areas, dressing rooms, costume shop, and the equipment and supplies within.
- Attend production meetings, dress rehearsals, and performances as required.
- Maintain inventory records and manage the storage and disposal of costumes as needed.
- Stay current with developments in costume design and construction, attending professional development opportunities as appropriate.
- Teach Makeup Design, Stage Costuming and Costume Practicum courses.
- A master’s degree in Theatre, as well as at least two years of experience with the preparation and construction of theater costumes.
- Demonstrated experience teaching at the university level.
- Ability to teach Stage Make-up and Stage Costuming
- An MFA in Costume Technology
- Professional experience in Costume Design or other related fields.
- Demonstrated experience promoting an inclusive culture in the workforce and academic environment.
- Salary range is $40,000 to $45,000 and commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Emporia State University offers a generous benefit package. Find out more about our health benefits, retirement options, paid time off, dependent and spouse tuition waiver program, and many other benefits at this link.
Upload a letter of application, vita, unofficial transcripts, and complete contact information for three references here.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
A background check and official transcripts are required prior to hire.
For more information
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.