Salary and Benefits
The starting salary placement depends on
qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range
of $75,000 per year to $90,000 per year.
This position is a Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position in the
CSU, and serves at the pleasure of the President.
The CSU enjoys a generous benefits program with employer paid life
insurance ($100,000), as well as health, dental, and vision
insurance with the monthly premium largely paid by the CSU.
Additionally, we offer a broad range of other benefits which
includes dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, tuition
fee waiver, 401k, 457 and 403(b) plans. The CSU belongs to the
CalPERS retirement plan in which medical and dental insurance
continues in qualified retirement. The CSU has 14 paid holidays,
one personal holiday and the position earns 24 days of vacation and
12 days of sick leave per year. For more information on the
benefits program, please visit our benefits
CSU Total Compensation Calculator
demonstrates the significance
of our benefits package.
About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the
Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay
shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an
ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the
many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in
Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a
significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is
one of 23 universities of the California State University system
(CSU). Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and
globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic
innovation, student success, engaged and service learning,
diversity, and sustainability.
About the Position
Reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement, the
University Events Manager is responsible for planning, producing
and managing a variety of university hosted events and outside
facility rental events. Working in collaboration with other members
of the University Advancement team as well as colleagues from
across the university, this position ensures the successful
production of university events including, but not limited to:
Commencement ceremonies, Honors Convocation, donor recognition
events and campaign events. The University Events Manager oversees
the planning, logistics and monitoring of event goals, budgets and
timelines. Additionally, this position is responsible for ensuring
the multitude of details and mechanics required to execute
high-quality events are flawlessly orchestrated from start to
The University Events Manager functions as a team player who serves
as a collaborative, flexible and well-organized leader with
excellent interpersonal communication skills and interactions with
all constituencies. The successful candidate will exhibit a strong
work ethic, including punctuality and reliability, as well as a
professional demeanor and appearance. This position requires being
a goal-oriented team player and collaborator with other university
partners and divisions.
- Plan and coordinate events and programs for constituencies
including but not limited to: donors, community partners, alumni,
parents, students and campus departments (e.g. presidential
luncheons and dinners with donors and other campus ceremonies,
- Lead, plan, and organize all elements of university ceremonies
and other special events.
- Collaborate with university staff and partners to establish
goals, objectives, timelines, work assignments and budgets for
- Prepare and implement detailed production timelines, task lists
and day of event program sheets.
- Provide technical diagrams such as floor plans and other
production layouts as needed.
- Coordinate multiple involved parties to ensure consistency and
understanding by those involved.
- Prepare and conduct event briefings, debriefings and program
- Work with University Communications to coordinate publicity and
maximize event awareness, as well as maintain a consistent
University message and branding.
- Work with University Communications to create invitations and
other printed materials.
- Oversee and facilitate event briefing and coordination of event
- Serve as liaison to event speakers, staff and volunteers.
- Manage content for event registration websites, ensuring
content is accurate and error-free.
- Manage and staff events, including coordinating any additional
staff and volunteers needed to produce the event. This may require
coordinating with University Advancement and other Cal State East
Bay departments and divisions to fill event staffing needs.
- Develop and manage event budgets. This includes tracking vendor
invoices and payments, as well as tracking revenue deposits and
payments. Budgets are required to be followed and costs are to be
contained within a predetermined budget. Track all revenues and
expenses associated with event or program logistics.
- Prepare post-event analysis to assess opportunities and make
recommendations for improving events.
- Plan, manage and coordinate all aspects of the University’s
- Supervise the University Events Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree.
- Three (3) years of related experience, or equivalent
combination of experience, education, and training.
- Progressively responsible experience in planning, production
and management of large and small high-profile and less-formal
events for diverse and distinguished guests, preferably in higher
- One year or more of supervising/managing a professional
- Event planning, evaluating programs and services, working
directly with vendors, as well as internal and external
- Project management, time management, management principles and
- Fiscal and budget management, including preparing, managing and
monitoring event budgets, anticipating cost of production,
technical and promotional needs.
- Crowd management, crowd safety protocols, security and
emergency procedures related to small, medium and large-scale
- Social and university procedures of protocol and
- Computer usage including word processing, spreadsheet software,
desktop production and database systems.
Special Working Conditions
- Perform administrative duties professionally and thoroughly,
adhering to established deadlines.
- Maintain professionalism in all interactions with internal and
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral and
written formats within a complex environment with competing wants
- Capable of prioritizing work by level-setting staggered
timelines, managing expectations, and committing to agreed-upon
- Plan and execute events varying by size and scope.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact when working with staff,
vendors, volunteers and guests.
- Complete tasks efficiently and meet established deadlines.
- Lead and train volunteers.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all
levels within the internal and the external communities.
- Complete projects accurately, on time and under tight
Condition(s) of Employment
- Able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Events will include outdoor activities.
- Automobile travel will be necessary.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and comply
with the Defensive Drivers Training program requirements if a
vehicle is used to travel on official business.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan,
as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal
records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses,
certificates, credit history, professional references and/or
verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State
East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the
selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check
reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of
current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered
All background checks are conducted through the university's third
party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the
University Police Department.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not
discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age,
ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration
status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual
orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to
the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a
stimulating learning environment for its diverse student
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East
Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit
our website here.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus
security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of
Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East
Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available here.
At Cal State East Bay, the following nine competencies have been
identified as valued leadership qualities: Communication,
Cooperation, Delegation, Empathy, Feedback, Innovation, Leadership
Presence, Passion and Strategic Ability. While we may not expect
our managers to exhibit all of these competencies, we do expect
them to aspire to develop them. As part of the annual evaluation
review process, the University Events Manager will be evaluated on
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or
Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated
reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of
December 04, 2023 (11:00 AM) Pacific Standard
February 04, 2024 (11:55 PM) Pacific