JOB TITLE Director of Academic Operations and Resources – Reopened and Revised*
JOB ID 26415
LOCATION John Jay College of Criminal Justice
FULL/PART TIME Full-Time
REGULAR / TEMPORARY Regular
ABOUT JOHN JAY COLLEGE
John Jay College of Criminal Justice is a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY) and an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice. Led by President Karol V. Mason, John Jay is a federally designated Hispanic-serving institution, it is ranked third in the nation in Black student success, and it is a top ten institution for promoting student social mobility. John Jay is proud to serve a diverse and dynamic student body of 15,000 students that includes nearly fifty percent students who are first in their family to attend college as well as students who are immigrants, from low-income families, or from other historically underrepresented groups in higher education.
The College participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of CUNY, and offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees both in traditional criminal justice-related fields of study as well as in a robust portfolio of liberal arts and sciences programs that highlight themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. The College seeks staff and faculty members who thrive in multicultural academic environments and are committed to access and excellence in higher education.
Reporting to the Associate Provost for Strategy and Operations, the Director of Academic Operations and Resources will promote and support administrative excellence across the division. The Director will serve as a partner and resource for department chairs, directors and staff and will be able to effectively represent divisional needs, challenges, and opportunities at the College level and proactively share knowledge and best practice.
The Director will lead the work of creating streamlined systems, developing policies, and solving problems to ensure that financial resources with different spending constraints are effectively and efficiently used across Academic Affairs. Core functions of the position include budget planning and development, resource allocation, budget monitoring and control and policy compliance. The selected candidate will work within deadlines and specific time frames to:
- ensure all faculty and staff understand and comply with the John Jay and CUNY regulations and policies related to the various college funding sources and resources.
- provide strategic analysis and input as required to identify and recommend solutions to operational issues;
- ensure that the division uses resources in a manner consistent with policies and approved financial plans;
- ensure that the division uses private donor and grant resources in a manner consistent with proposals, restrictions and reporting deadlines;
- liaise with college partners to develop and provide the division with comprehensive financial and personnel information in a timely manner and useful format;
- develop and maintain a calendar of key operational dates and deadlines for academic management and staff;
- estimate the fiscal impact of decisions to resolve academic and/or administrative issues;
- review ongoing resource requests and formulate appropriate recommendations;
- serve as the point of contact for all divisional property information and inquiries; and
- successfully perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience required.
- Eight years of professional experience with at least three in a managerial position
- Strong written and verbal communication ability;
- Demonstrated customer service orientation;
- Friendly, positive and adaptable attitude, with a high degree of professionalism and discretion;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; and
- Familiarity with CUNYfirst and CUNYBuy including queries and reporting.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Leads initiatives to develop and implement improvements to management and administrative practices and systems.
- Serves as a consultant to management in investigating current situations and in identifying the scope of the problem and potential solutions
- Conducts studies and reviews to design organizational or systems improvements, developing appropriate measurements and goals
- Serves as a change management leader in implementing major organizational or systems improvements; develops and executes implementation plans, reporting results and issues to management
- Develops and implements training, communications, ongoing task forces and teams, and other support to maintain and build on results
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
If you are viewing the job posting on John Jay College website or in CUNYfirst, please select the "Apply Now" button. If you are viewing the job posting on any other website, please follow the instructions below:
-Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
-Click "Search job listing"
-Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
-Search by Job Opening ID number 26415
-Click on the "Apply Now" and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
*Review of resumes to begin October 11, 2023
Posting closes on October 25, 2023
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY and John Jay College are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.