Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a term Nature Lab
Hyundai Motor Group Biodesign Fellow to join Academic Affair.
Academic Affairs supports the work of faculty, departments and
students across all divisions.
With a deep understanding of the biological and environmental
sciences, responsible for expanding, maintaining and supplementing
biodesign pedagogy, research and practices in the Nature Lab, and
advancing understanding of the connections between biology, art,
design and nature, as approved. Develops and provides training for
and mentors students and faculty in natural science and biodesign
topics, including regenerative design, biomimicry, biomaterials and
living systems. Makes recommendations to the Director regarding
improvements and or enhancements to the Lab’s equipment,
biomaterials and image libraries, and biological assets.
This position is funded by the Hyundai Motor Group, and provides
essential support to ongoing HMG|RISD studio and workshop
activities that foster art|design inquiry and innovation based on
biology and living systems.
We seek a culturally competent candidate who will thrive in a
campus environment that is committed to advancing the principles of
social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and
equal access to resources and opportunities.
- With an in-depth understanding of biomimicry, biomaterials and
living systems, create and teach workshops, provide demonstrations,
mentor students through one-on-one instruction, and participate in
institution-wide and departmental projects, workshops and
- With a high level of biological knowledge, scientific expertise
and independence, provide opportunities for student and faculty
learning around Nature Lab collections, field work and research
equipment. Investigate and recommend new technology that enhances
student exploration of the Nature Lab collection and ways to expand
its living and non- living biological resources.
- Oversee the biomaterials library and recommend additional
recipes and samples appropriate to the RISD community.
- Participate in meetings and coordinate portions of
communications with HMG on implementation of projects that rely on
Nature Lab resources and expertise.
- Hire, supervise, evaluate and mentor undergraduate work study
students and graduate research assistants assigned to biodesign
projects. Nurture students’ skills in employing biodesign
principles and caring for living organisms; prepare maintenance
schedules and assign tasks.
- Support fundraising and public relations efforts of the Nature
Lab by hosting guests and visitors. Work closely with the Director,
Public Safety, and Environmental Health and Safety to support a
safe and secure working environment.
- Assist the Director with other projects, programs and functions
of the Nature Lab, in support of its mission, as directed. Complete
other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to centering inclusivity, diversity and equity in
executing key responsibilities.
- Computer experience required for maintaining records, schedules
and data entry.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work
collaboratively and flexibly in a service-oriented
- Must be able to give attention to detail as well as foster an
inspirational learning environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Master’s degree in biology, biomimicry or environmental science
or an equivalent combination of specialized academic education
and/or experience required.
- Training and/or experience in biodesign and the demonstrated
ability and professional experience to comprehend the connections
between, and to advocate for, the study of both art/design and
science in a natural science setting, strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated teaching experience in either formal or informal
learning settings preferred.
- Experience supervising students or other personnel in an
educational setting preferred.
35 hours per week; 12 months per year
Full-time; Exempt; 2 Year Term
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover Letter (Required)
Salary Grade Structure
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family: