Publications Secretary for Lancer Media Group 30 hours/12
The compensation for this appointment will range from $18 to $25
hourly and reflects what California Baptist University reasonably
expects to pay for this staff appointment. Actual compensation may
vary based on the qualifications and experience of the applicant,
as well as market conditions. In addition to wages, CBU offers a
robust suite of employee
Position Summary Information
Schedules appointments, gives information to callers, and otherwise
relieves officials of clerical work and minor administrative and
business detail by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned.
- Reports to the publications director for management of the
- Assists in meeting the various students’ needs.
- Organizes and maintains file system and files correspondence
and other records.
- Coordinates and arranges meetings, prepares agendas, reserves
facilities, and schedules catering.
- Participates in the publication’s annual budget
- Orders and maintains supplies and arranges for equipment
- Tracks program monthly spending and maintains monthly budget
spreadsheet, submitting to the department chair for review.
- Maintains financial records: requisitions for checks and cash
advances, student payments (for travel expenses, events, etc.),
reimbursements, credit card statements, and reconciliation of cash
advances. Liaises with third-party vendors as needed.
- Provides general oversight for publications student workers,
coordinating student worker time with faculty and publication
- Coordinates publications travel for conferences, collecting
travel documents, releases, and payments from students, booking
airfares with the university travel agent, hotel accommodations,
meal stipends, etc. Coordinates pre-trip meetings and agendas,
briefing students on travel itineraries.
- Completes Student Worker Authorizations or new hire packets for
students on the publications staff who receive a stipend for their
work, scanning these documents and sending to the publications
director and bringing hard copies to the department chair for final
approval. Manages an up-to-date live budget spreadsheet, accessible
to the publications director and department chair, reflecting these
- Coordinates the monthly time log spreadsheet for students and
manages the master publication staff roster with up-to-date
information (i.e., student ID numbers, positions on staff,
permanent addresses, contact information, etc.), updating their
- Handle the advertising accounts for the campus publications,
work with the advertising manager to maintain the advertising
schedule, secure advertising vendors, and invoice vendors for
advertising placed in the publications.
- Schedules publications events (guest speakers, promotional
events, publication distribution events, workshops, meetings,
banquets, etc.) with the Office of Conferences & Events in a
- Liaises with other departments on campus and distributes
materials as requested (i.e. publication photos, videos or PDFs for
Marketing & Communication, publications, archived photos for
departments and offices).
- Schedule and manage photography with university colleges,
schools, departments, and athletics for campus publications as
- Organize the program schedule of publication dates, meetings,
travel, and events.
- Sends out information about the publications to prospective
students (i.e., email blasts, scholarship and publication staff
applications). In conjunction with department efforts, Maintains a
database of recruiting efforts with prospective students (i.e.,
inquiries, applicants, accepted, enrolled).
- Assists with the coordination of meetings, events, and digital
updates for the Public Relations Student Society of America and
Lancer Public Relations.
This position could be responsible for assigning work and/or giving
direction to part-time student workers, in order to complete office
and publication work assignments.
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Education and/or Experience
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
applications including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and
PowerPoint. Familiarity with web-based clients like Canva and
Wordpress a plus.
- A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic;
general office methods, procedures and practices; filing.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties
of the position.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Ability to relate positively and effectively with a diverse
faculty, staff and student body.
- Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple projects.
- Knowledge of standard budgeting, and expenditure control
procedures and documentation.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or
technical school; and/or one to two years’ related experience
and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and
Posting Detail Information
Remove from Web
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to
discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its
purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either
State or Federal law.
Quick Link to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Other Document
- Other Document 2