Purdue University announces the nomination and application process for the position of Head, Department of Health and Kinesiology (HK) at Purdue’s West Lafayette main campus. The department has over 565 undergraduate students and 27 graduate students, with 20 full-time tenured, tenure-track, and clinical faculty members. It currently houses faculty with areas of focus including biomechanics, motor control and development, exercise physiology, and exercise psychology. Additionally, the department supports popular clinical tracks for students to pursue interests in sports medicine and clinical exercise physiology. Graduate offerings include traditional Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degree programs, along with a clinically focused Master of Science in Athletic Training program.
The College of Health and Human Sciences (HHS), home to the HK Department, is the newest and one of the largest colleges at Purdue with extensive interconnections within and beyond the College (http://www.purdue.edu/hhs/). The College brings together scholars in the health sciences and human sciences to strategically address issues vital to enhancing health and quality of life across the lifespan. HHS’s multidisciplinary learning environment uniquely prepares students to contribute to improved human health and behavior and to serve as leaders in their disciplines. The College also provides a rich environment for world-changing research and discovery. Purdue’s land-grant mission facilitates the translation of these discoveries from theory to application, benefiting not only those in Indiana but society as a whole.
Established in 1869, Purdue is Indiana’s land-grant university, a comprehensive educational and research institution that is a member of the American Association of Universities (AAU). Purdue is a leading public university in the U.S. with strengths in Engineering, Agriculture, Science, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Liberal Arts, Management, and the Health and Human Sciences all of which contribute to a robust research and educational environment. The West Lafayette Campus, located one hour north of Indianapolis and two hours south of downtown Chicago, has ten academic colleges with an enrollment of 50,000 students. The diverse, greater Lafayette/West Lafayette communities number approximately 200,000 and boast a low cost of living http://www.homeofpurdue.com/).
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will advance a culture of academic excellence and build upon the current kinesiology program, including an exceptional undergraduate and graduate curriculum, and an advanced research program and will teach as appropriate. Candidates must:
1. Hold a doctoral degree (in Kinesiology or related field), be recognized nationally for scholarly achievement, and have the qualifications for appointment as a full professor with tenure.
2. Demonstrate a successful track record and commitment to obtaining significant extramural funding.
3. Demonstrate a commitment to students and student learning at the collegiate level.
4. Exhibit interpersonal and intrapersonal skills with regards to team building and responsible delegation.
5. Have proven skills as an effective and visionary leader with competencies in administration, teaching, fiscal management, facilitation of grants, development, student recruitment, and alumni relations.
6. Demonstrate a proven ability to lead and mentor faculty in the areas of learning, discovery, and engagement, while building effective and collaborative teams across different disciplines.
7. Have a proven record of academic/scientific management experience with an understanding of interactions across diverse groups of internal and external constituents.
Confidential nominations and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin 11/10/23. The application package should include:
⦁ Letter of interest, indicating relevant qualifications and experience
⦁ Curriculum vitae
⦁ Statement of leadership philosophy, including the candidate's leadership experience and core principles, perspectives, and values
The College of Health and Human Sciences and the Department of Health and Kinesiology are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our leadership, faculty, staff, and students are engaged in many efforts that are consistent with this commitment.
Professional references and other supplemental application materials will be requested later in the recruitment process. Nominations and confidential questions regarding the position should be submitted to Ms. Aubry Johnson, Lead Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist, Purdue University Human Resources, at email@example.com.
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.