Montgomery College, Germantown Campus, has an immediate need for a
Part-Time Instructional Associate. The Writing, Reading, and
Language Centers provide campus- and online-based academic support.
Annually, each Writing, Reading and Language Center holds up to
5000 tutoring sessions. We have exceptionally talented staff and
faculty tutors who incorporate the latest pedagogy into their
tutoring. Our staff and tutors come from diverse backgrounds and
are qualified to teach at the college level. The Writing, Reading,
and Language Centers strive to provide an inclusive and affirming
environment for all students by training our faculty tutors and
staff in radically inclusive and culturally responsive practices
and creating a welcoming space with diverse displays and
The work schedule is Monday-Thursday 9 AM – 1 PM, Sunday 10 AM – 2
PM (20 hours/week).
This is a Bargaining, Non-exempt, Grade
25 position. Non-exempt positions are not eligible to work a
secondary job at Montgomery College. Montgomery College promotes
and creates a working and learning environment rooted in the basic
tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness. This position is
eligible for telework up to one day per week (Sundays only) after
successful completion of initial employment probationary period. A
compressed schedule of Monday-Thursday 9 AM – 2 PM is optional
during the initial employment probationary period.
Under supervision and/or direction, provide instructional support
services to students and/or faculty in support of the College's
academic programs. Work with students to tutor and demonstrate
subject matter concepts and guide the students to reinforce faculty
teaching. Incumbents may help students with course work,
assignments, and associated study/learning activities and may lead
instructional support staff and student workers in setting up,
installing, and maintaining the software and hardware in desktop
computers used in a learning center, as well as perform record
keeping tasks. Work with faculty and/or staff to provide technical
software and hardware support and training to staff, faculty,
student assistants, and students.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide tutoring to students in writing and reading across the
- Provide direction to students by reviewing assignments, guides,
lesson plans, texts and learning resources, explaining and
discussing subjects and learning materials and advising students on
- Design and present center and instructional information,
including but not limited to handouts, subject matter workshops,
student orientations, and training for faculty tutors and student
- Provide software and hardware support, training and instruction
to staff, faculty and student assistants.
- Assist with planning, organizing, advertising and record
keeping of workshops, tutoring, and other center services.
- Assist with scheduling and supervision of student
- Create marketing materials such as flyers, posters, e-mail
announcements, brochures, and Inside MC Online articles.
- Collaborate on the development of innovative, research-based
contributions to the field of tutoring.
- Support center operations and provide additional instructional
support as needed.
- Oversee Sunday operations and act as primary contact.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related academic field required or the
equivalent combination of education, training and experience that
demonstrates the ability to effectively perform the essential
functions of the job
- Three years' experience in tutoring and demonstrating concepts
associated with the subject area and some experience in identifying
resources that enhance the student’s learning/study
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the
subject matter area to which assigned sufficient to explain and
- Considerable knowledge with instructional technology and
educational materials employed with regard to learning
- Skill in explaining subject matter principles, techniques and
practices, working with others and serving as a liaison in support
of faculty and student learning, using personal computers and
instructional technology, and in developing instructional materials
based on direction from others.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the
United States and not require employer visa sponsorship
Hiring Range $27.68 to $35.98 per hour.
- Master’s degree or higher in English, Composition/Rhetoric,
Linguistics, TESOL, Reading, or other closely related or
writing-intensive field, such as psychology or law
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to demonstrate the principles
and practices of reading, writing, tutoring, language learning
theory and/or adult learning theory.
- Experience with remote and virtual tutoring practices
- Experience developing and presenting instructional materials
such as workshops, orientations, and handouts
- Experience in student-oriented environment requiring adept
- Experience tutoring English, Composition/Rhetoric, ESOL or
Reading in a community college and/or a diverse student
- Experience supervising and/or mentoring student worker
- Education in a foreign language, multilingual background,
and/or interest in linguistic diversity
- Experience with a technological specialty, such as remote
education tools; learning management systems; data compilation and
analysis for reporting purposes; and/or social media
placement is based on candidate experience and internal equity.
Please include a complete resume including all relevant and
related work experience.
- Click Here to apply online
- Initial salary placement is based on internal equity and
relevant candidate experience. Please include a complete
resume/application including all relevant or related
- Online applications must be received by October 13, 2023
- For consideration, you must: (optional)
Include dates of employment in your application or
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your
transcripts from your highest degree earned.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the
time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree
verification (if applicable).
- For international degrees, you must provide US degree
equivalency verified by a nationally recognized credential
- Participation in a Maryland State Retirement System plan
(Pension or Optional Retirement Plan, depending on the position).
If you are already retired from the Maryland State Retirement
System, you may not enroll in a Maryland State Retirement System
plan at Montgomery Collage and may have earn ings restrictions,
per state law.
package includes: generous paid
vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal
benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational
assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness
programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Friday, October 13, 2023