Home Org Name
EV SMITH RESEARCH CENTER
Agriculture Experiment Station
Supervisor (EV Smith Research & Extension Center)
Job Class Code
Limited Term Length
This position is located at the EVSRC – Headquarters – Plant
Breeding Unit in Shorter, AL.
The E.V. Smith Research Center of Auburn
University is seeking candidates for the position of
The individual selected for this position will
provide leadership support to the daily operations of the Plant
Breeding Unit in collaboration with the Associate Director.
Located on Interstate 85 between Auburn and Montgomery, E.V. Smith
Research Center is the most visible agricultural facility in
Alabama. The only facility named for a former AAES director—Edwin
V. Smith who served at Auburn from 1929 to 1972—it is also the
largest and most comprehensive with research units in beef cattle,
horticulture, plant breeding, field crops and biosystems
At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by
U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn
University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of
Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking
education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless
service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to
academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment,
student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn:
Auburn University was named by
Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers,
with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy
competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance,
generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and
dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and
thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Auburn University is committed to a diverse
and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to
learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion
To learn more about the E.V. Smith Research Center, please visit:
Specific duties may vary based upon departmental needs and may
include the following:
- Maintains a constantly growing and evolving database of all
research plots and projects that are ongoing at the center.
- Coordinates with research and project leaders regarding all
aspects of research from planning to installation to harvest and
completion of research studies.
- Records important data throughout experiments which is then
relayed to researchers; Oversees the weighing and recording of
harvest data at the completion of studies.
- Operates various pieces of farm machinery including tractors,
sprayers, and harvesters; possesses and uses and extensive
knowledge of technology based equipment related to precision
- Instructs and trains others with regards to implementing farm
practices to better suit unique situations at the center; Guides
new team members through the daily operations of the center.
- Consults with the Associate Director about ideas and
suggestions to better maximize efficiency.
- Supervises temporary workers and full-time technicians with
daily operations; Makes important decisions and answers questions
and concerns that other employees might have.
- Recommends and integrates new ideas and techniques that prove
to be vital given the unique circumstances that accompany
agricultural research; Thinks “outside the box” in regards to how
to achieve goals.
- Procures supplies and other items needed for daily
- Records weather data from multiple locations on the property.
This data is used in making decisions related to ongoing
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent PLUS
4 years of experience
in agricultural operations and/or agricultural research.
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Excellent interpersonal, written communication skills and
demonstrated technical excellence and ability to work independently
and in a team environment are essential.
Minimum Technology Skills
Minimum License and Certifications
Possession of a valid drivers license, ability to obtain a
pesticide license may be required in specific positions.
Desired qualifications include the following:
- Knowledge and experience with plant breeding research
- Experience with maintenance and operation of equipment
- Supervisory experience
- Advanced computer skills
Posting Detail Information
$40,400 - $64,600
Working Hours if Non-Traditional
City position is located in:
State position is located:
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus
environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please utilize the attachment feature on the on-line application
system and attach the following: cover letter, resume. Only
complete application packets will be considered for
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
Optional DocumentsSupplemental Questions
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select how you first became aware of this opportunity.
Your response helps us determine how we can more effectively reach
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- The Tuskegee News
- Professional organization or journal
- Veterans Assistance Services
- Disability Assistance Services
- State Employment Service
- Social Media
- AU Job Bulletin
- Notified by an Auburn employee
- College or university Career Services
- I went to the AU Employment Website directly
- * Please select the answer that best describes your current
employment relationship with Auburn University:
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee within probationary
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee outside of
- Current part-time Auburn or AUM employee
- Not an Auburn or AUM employee
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have 4 years of experience in agricultural operations
and/or agricultural research?