Mission or Goal of Unit: The mission of the Department of
Pathology is to provide high quality, cost effective molecular
pathology services in a manner that supports the patient care,
education, and research missions of the Virginia Commonwealth
University Health System and School of Medicine.
Our Vision is to become a preeminent Department of Pathology in the
United States, which is recognized for excellence in biomedical
research, the education of health care professionals, and the
innovative application of science and technology to the diagnosis
and management of human disease.
Chief Purpose of this position: The VCU School of Medicine
is seeking candidates for Chair of the Department of Pathology.
This position is a senior-level, associate professor of professor
faculty position. The Chair has a key leadership role in both the
School of Medicine and VCU Health System. The position will lead
the Department in all teaching, patient care, and research and will
oversee the Department’s diverse missions, faculty, and
Duties & Responsibilities:
Advance the education, research, and clinical
missions of the academic health system
in all areas of Pathology in collaboration with the leadership of
VCU. Facilitate and
support the training of the next generation of clinicians who will
Pathology practice and science. Champion improvements in education
of medical and graduate
students, residents, and advanced practice clinicians in the
Department of Pathology.
Support research among department faculty and collaborative
relationships with faculty in other departments where interests
(e.g. cancer) overlap with Pathology. Lead efforts to secure
appropriate grant funding (including NIH) and philanthropy to
support academic priorities.
Provide the vision and leadership to achieve superior clinical
programs for Pathology.
Work with clinical leadership to build and grow areas of
excellence in Pathology. Serve on School and University committees.
service within the community.
Financial Management: Prepare, oversee and implement the
budget that encompasses all funding sources and ensures compliance
legislative, and institutional guidelines. Effectively work to
manage available resources.
Encourage ethical and financial practices within the Department of
all institutional compliance activities. Recruit, hire and retain
outstanding and diverse faculty.
Ensure an atmosphere of support and development. Encourage
philanthropic gifts. Be a
highly visible collaborative leader in supporting VCU School of
direction in partnership with Departmental chairs, SOM academic
affairs, and leadership.
Patient Care: Implement policies and systems to deliver
superior patient care for patients.
Be active and resolute in advancing patient care, service
excellence, patient outcomes, quality, and safety and maximize
performance of Department of Pathology faculty and clinical
superior quality and safety for the practice. Monitor and ensure
patient access for all
services. Coordinate with CMO of VCUHS to ensure compliance with
Leadership: Provide a strong and impassioned vision for
building excellence in all
aspects of the clinical and academic mission. Understand,
appreciate, and prepare for
current and future trends in the field of Pathology. Work
effectively across a complex
academic health system and academic group practice.
Relationship Building: Build strong relationships with
others in an environment where the
other health sciences schools and the hospital are partners and
faculty and staff collaborate with other departments to ensure
Mentorship: Mentor and develop trainees and junior faculty.
Commit to and actively
participate in undergraduate and graduate Pathology education.
Identify, recruit and
retain the next generation of superior faculty members.
- Medical degree is required
- Board certification is required
- Eligibility for a Virginia medical license
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- Previous experience building or expanding a program, division,
department, or group within an organization
- Demonstrated managerial and business acumen
- Experience in and demonstrated knowledge of the financial
pressures facing academic medical centers, health care delivery
organizations, and academic departments of clinical
- Experience in a competitive clinical marketplace and in forging
- Politically astute and able to work well with people at all
levels – university, hospital, health system, community, faculty,
- A reputation as a consensus builder and someone who can resolve
conflict for the betterment of the organization
- Unimpeachable integrity and personal ethics
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong organization and process management skills
- High energy coupled with a strong work ethic and a desire to have
a meaningful impact
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
faculty member at VCU
- Leadership by example with intent/desire to continue clinical
practice while serving as Department Chair
- Successful collaborative academic leadership
- Ability to contribute in matrixed academic environment as member
of SOM leadership team
- Leadership in continuous quality improvement and demonstrated
commitment to quality and safety in healthcare
- Willingness to engage broadly with VCU as an institutional leader
and to be a highly visible ambassador for SOM both internally and
in the Richmond community
- Ability and desire to foster growth in department research
Position Type: Clinical
Full time equivalent: 100
Department: Pathology-School of Medicine
ORP Eligible: Yes
Contact Name: Katherine Mulloy-Director, Faculty
Contact Email: email@example.com