Director of IT Finance
About the Opportunity
The Director of IT Finance advises and assists the CIO and Deputy
CIO in developing Information Technologies Services annual expense
budgets, in modeling multi-year financial scenarios and in
monitoring financial activity. As part of the Office of the CIO,
the IT Finance Director participates in the development and
implementation of the IT strategic plan and plays a lead role in
advancing the mission of technology at Northeastern. The IT Finance
Director supports strategic initiatives through data analytics and
financial modeling and provides input and guidance on staffing
requirements necessary to meet strategic objectives needed for
decisions regarding resource allocation. The IT Finance Director
works closely with the Deputy CIOs, AVPs, department managers, and
the Finance and Operations staff to determine budgetary needs and
plan new initiatives that are aligned with academic and
institutional resources and strategic goals. The IT Finance
Director establishes and implements policies to direct the
administration of finance, research, human resources, data and
other areas identified by the Office of the CIO.
This role is a hybrid position and requires coming into the Boston
office 2-3 days a week.
Provide the minimum education, experience, and skills required to
perform the job successfully.
- Master's degree in business administration or related field
- Minimum of 7-10 years of related experience, at least 5 of
which were in a managerial/supervisory capacity experience,
preferably in higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial planning & analysis,
budgeting, project management, resource allocation, and report
- Experience with automated spreadsheets, financial databases and
with developing "dashboard" reports; high level of analytical
- Strong negotiation, influencing and facilitation skills, as
well as a high level of analytical, organizational and
- Ability to advise senior leaders on decisions related to the
organization's finances, mediate differences on finance and
operational issues, and create strategic business plans
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement, make reasoned
decisions and provide leadership in a consultative and
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a strong customer service
focus. Individual must be collaborative and be able to communicate
effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively at all organizational
levels and with complex administrative teams
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse,
multicultural and inclusive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments and respond
quickly to changing business needs and priorities
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Experience with Technology and research programs in a
- Working experience with Banner, Cognos, Apptio, Cloudability,
Workday financial systems
Identify all key responsibilities (maximum of 5) required of the
job in 3-4 sentences and indicate the typical amount of time
required for each responsibility. Total percent of time must equal
Percent of Time
Strategic Financial and Budgetary Management & Planning
- As part of the ITS, the Finance Director helps formulate and
implement the strategic plan and plays a lead role in advancing the
mission of the ITS at Northeastern University.
- Liaise with staff in the ITS, Office of Global Network &
Strategic Initiative's, central budget, to increase collaboration
and address financial/operational/administrative issues.
- The ITS Finance Director supports strategic initiatives,
including the development of new programs, through data analytics
and financial modeling and provides input and guidance on staffing
requirements necessary to meet strategic objectives and inform
decisions regarding resource allocation.
- Responsible for short- and long-term budgetary forecasting and
preparing multi-year financial models under the University hybrid
budget model and developing and managing the ITS annual operating
- Report budget-to-actual quarterly performance results to the
Office of Global Network & Strategic Initiative's.
- Develop strong understanding of Northeastern's service
offerings and financial models and funding sources that support
- Advises the CIO and AVPs on budgetary implications of the
annual staff merit process.
- Serve key negotiator on implementing and reviewing budgetary
components of all contractual relationships ensuring effective
oversight of all key business partnerships.
Vendor/Software Management (20%)
- Guides development and implementation of vendor, software,
contracts management policies and procedures and ensures alignment
with central finance and financial calendar and processes.
- Ensures contract negotiations and renewals are strategic and
are apart of annual budget planning.
- Ensure that Software and contracts management and the finance
team are aligned with negotiating new and existing contracts with
regard to cost and financial model
Operations & Space Considerations (5%)
- Work closely with the Office of the Provost, GNSI and central
space planning on space needs.
- Work with key Northeastern staff to provide metrics around
current and future space needs for ITS.
People management (20%)
- Manages cross functional team who perform strategic,
quantitative analysis on various financial strategy, planning and
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring,
and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance
management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work
- Develop strong relationships with service owners to collaborate
on key financial challenges and opportunities.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work
experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit
eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid
time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as
well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/
for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Director-of-IT-Finance_R119633