Lead Museum Security Officer
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Lead Museum Security
Officer. The Lead Museum Security Officer is a full-time,
year-round position, starting at $23.00 per hour. Given Amherst's
distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the
country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in
which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a
broadly diverse community.
The Lead Museum Security Officer (LMSO) assists the Museum Security
Supervisor with the supervisory and administrative duties of
Amherst College's Museum Security Department serving the Mead Art
Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History, and Amherst Center for
Russian Culture. Works in close collaboration with the Beneski
Museum and Museum Security Staff, and reports to the Museum
In addition, performs the duties of a museum security officer which
includes the coverage of open shifts.
Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and
participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful,
inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Due to the nature of the position, evening or weekend work may be
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Assists with ensuring the policies, procedures and fundamentals
of the Museum Security Department are upheld. Refers questions to
the Museum Security Supervisor as needed.
- Assist Museum Security Supervisor with preparation of monthly
Security Staff Schedule.
- Train Beneski Student Docents on security
- Receive call-out notification and coordinate staffing coverage
in absence of Museum Security Supervisor.
- Refer supervisory issues to the Museum Security
- Reviews security officer log notes and prepares reports for the
Museum Security Supervisor
- Maintains the training database for security officers, contact
lists and face sheets for Museum and Security Staff.
Museum Security Officer Role
- Cover regular gallery shifts as determined by
- Ensure coverage for Museum Security Officer break times in
absence of Museum Security Supervisor
- Cover open shifts and vacancies, and perform other duties of a
security officer as needed.
- Helps provide access for contractors and facility workers who
need access in the secure, non-public areas of the Museum. Assists
Museum Security Supervisor with tracking access needs, ensuring
work won't hinder museum operations or policy, and scheduling
officers to provide access as needed.
Security Logistics & Administration
- Coordinate security logistics for the Beneski Natural History
Museum including access to the museum and special arrangements for
classes, exhibits, and events with collaboration of Beneski
Educator and Staff. Ensure all appointments are posted on shared
calendar, and early openings are posted on schedule.
- Prepare shift notes for officers to review at start of each
shift, listing classes, events, facility work, and other
appointments happening at each museum.
- Coordinates regular walk-testing of alarm system at Beneski
Museum with security officers.
- Coordinates photographic documentation of new exhibitions for
- Assist Museum Security Supervisor with filing of departmental
- Maintain inventory of all uniform items, both in-house ready to
be issued, and items currently issued to each officer.
- Re-issue or order uniform items for new employees, order
replacement uniform items as needed for current
- Assist with Workday reimbursements and tracking
- Manage returns of uniform items as needed. Submit finalized
orders to Museum Security Supervisor for invoicing and budget
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 6 months of experience in private security and/or law
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, problem
solving, organizational, time management, interpersonal and
customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree (Criminal Justice,
Administration, and/ or Emergency Management).
- Law Enforcement or Professional Security Officer
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth
and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the
Career icon from their Workday home screen)
applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled.
find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Lead-Museum-Security-Officer_JR4390